Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 8 mm wildcats?
 Login/Join

<JOHAN>
posted
Quote:

If the 8x60 isn't possible (can't find reamers, etc.) then my second choice would be the 8mm-06. Use the same brass as mentioned above (to avoid the military cartridge headstamp issue in France). If the caliber/cartridge stamp on the rifle as "8mm-06" would present a problem with the authorities, then maybe just stamp it "8x63 Springfield" or something.

I still think 8X64S or 8X60S are the best choices, factory ammo and components is available on the market. The 8mm-06 is pure wildcat, no headstamped brass, components or factory ammo. Both would be historically correct for the rifle

It' possible to use 7X64 or 270 win cases for makeing 8X64S brass if there is no factory ammo.

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:

If the 8x60 isn't possible (can't find reamers, etc.) then my second choice would be the 8mm-06. Use the same brass as mentioned above (to avoid the military cartridge headstamp issue in France). If the caliber/cartridge stamp on the rifle as "8mm-06" would present a problem with the authorities, then maybe just stamp it "8x63 Springfield" or something.

I still think 8X64S or 8X60S are the best choices, factory ammo and components is available on the market. The 8mm-06 is pure wildcat, no headstamped brass, components or factory ammo. Both would be historically correct for the rifle

It' possible to use 7X64 or 270 win cases for makeing 8X64S brass if there is no factory ammo.

Cheers
/ JOHAN

Johan,

Yes, I agree. From a historical standpoint, the 8x64 would be a better choice than the 8mm-06. Therefore my preferences would be: first choice 8x60 followed by the 8x64. Either would be sweet in that Mauser.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

What's more, I'm not sure anyone has made it yet!

I don't think you're going to find any info on the 8mm-376, since as far as I know, I made it up.
But there has been a 308 and 338 caliber on the case, which should give you an idea of what it is capable of.
I think someone here owns at least on of this, if you search.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Exactly, the 8x60 was designed to address exactly this issue. However, I'm under the impression that reamers are hard if not impossible to find?

The german firm Triebel has reamers for 8x60S, http://www.triebel-guntools.de/in_firma_eng.html Cases are available from RWS and Horneber.

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
z1r

The 270 win is 64 mm long and should be alright for makeing 8X64s cases. I doubt there could be any shortage of 270 brass in USA 35 Whelen cases would be interesting to try

Triebel or Pacific Tool & Gauge should have 8X64S reamer

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Exactly, the 8x60 was designed to address exactly this issue. However, I'm under the impression that reamers are hard if not impossible to find?

As to the 8mm-06/8x63 you can use .270 brass or even 25-06 to circumvent the .30-06 headstamp.

I'd personally like to see you go the 8x60 route.

The 8x60 would also be my choice if at all possible. It would be historically correct for the rifle. Brass could be made from .270 Win, .280 Rem or .35 Whelen to avoid the military cartridge headstamp issue in France. Yes, the brass length would have to be trimmed a little but not much. Ken Waters did an article a few years ago on the 8x60 in Handloader magazine. He was using an original Oberndorf Mauser. The article is in his Pet Loads book available from Wolfe Pubishing. See link below:

http://www.riflemagazine.com//catalog/detail.cfm?ProductID=37

Just my thoughts....

-Bob F.

Edited to add: Here's an article that you may enjoy. It has some info about the 8x60:

What happened to the 8mm calibres?

Also: 8x60S MAUSER

This article is in Afrikaans but it does list some reload data using South African powders (Somchem).

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

8mm-376 Steyr

Where can I get some more information and ballistics on this caliber?

Ian

Posts: 294 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote