Tools

Intermediate Length 404 Wildcats?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Should I ever see the need for 404 wildcat which I most certainly will not, it would follow the Robert Chatfield Taylor line and be a .338 Win necked up to .423, The 404 Chatfield Taylor...That case duplicated the 416, 375 H&H so closely one could never go wrong or how about a 404 Ruger, I built two of those and the buyers loved them. Neck up a .375 or 416 Ruger case to .423...All good wildcats...but I still favor the 404 Jefferys, it has class and nostalgia..

oldRay, if you want some nostalgia I'll be glad to send you a bunch of 8mm X .425 WR X 2.5" cases . No charge for nostalgia just shipping.

wave roger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what do you get when you neck up the .416 ruger case to .423? I mean in terms of performance. And how much case length do you lose doing that?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
odd to see this come up again --
i don't believe the short 416 reamer ever made it to me --

if one stipulates that the 400 is ≈ the remington ultramags, then the 40's of the AccRel line accomplished this mid length, improved, shortened, rebated 404 ... in my 416 Accrel, explicitly ---

i didn't do the 375 as that space is REALLY crowded

the 416 ruger, for the lower 40s, is the best answer, and the 375 ruger is impressive .. very impressive, in fact

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39574 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rune Hallgeir:
https://www.beverensport.no/pr...-mauseroberndorf-an6

I have this rifle, a Oberndorf Mauser M98 in caliber 404 Jeffery.
This one is shortened 5mm on the necklenght, case lenght is 68mm, this are for fitting in the M98 Action.
I got a load from Quick load:
72,5 grs VVH N-540 with a 400 grs Woodleigh RN, Vo is 2300 feet/sec.
this load is 5% lesser than the origional cartridge, but give the same performance as the originally 404 Jeffery

I’m from Australia and a gunsmith here in Australia had built a few 404 Jeffery expresses so it fits on a standard action without as much modification

one of us
posted Hide Post
I knew a PH in Zim that had a std 98 in 404 Jefferys and has used it for years with no problems and another in Zim that built a 404 Jeffrys on a pre 64 mod 70.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42143 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Intermediate length Mauser actions and WSM/404 base diameter cartridges.
Back in 2014 I did a project where Yugo 48 intermediate receivers where used to create 300 WSM and 7mm WSM calibers with long throats to enable long seating of high BC 175gr to 215gr bullets seated to 3.200 COAL.
For correct cartridge stagger stacking I used my 404 Jeffery standard 3 down drawing and redrew it for a 3.250 internal length, width being the same as my 404 drawing. I took my 404 CNC program, copied it and edited it dimensionally to fit the Yugo 48, which is basically the same action as the Vansoelen 24/30 action. The Yugo 48 bolt lacked the projections on the left side of the bolt face which made for unreliable CRF feeding of the WSM cartridges occasionally the rounds would get out ahead of the extractor and act as a push feed. I purchased 1903 Turkish bolts which are also intermediate bolts but have the necessary projections on the left side of the bolt head to make for reliable CRF feeding so no push feeding occurs. The 1903 Turkish bolts worked well but I was still after a better fit in regards to bolt to receiver fit and the client wanted 1/16 diameter fully guided firing pins which means 3/8 more steel behind the bolt face to always support and guide the 1/16 diameter firing pin the bolts where made to much closer tolerances and with bumps behind the front lugs and in front of the 3rd lug for absolute perfect no wiggle fit when in battery.
These new production bolts where made from Pre-hard 4340 CM then Nitrided for extra surface hardness and slicker operation. The new bolts where also made speed locked in back decreasing the pin fall by .135 which also speeds up the re-cock rotational duration, which makes the use of a 28 Lb Wolf mainspring possible without excessive effort to get the action re-cocked. In addition to all this I copied the Tubb speed pin but with titanium shanks and with 17-4 stainless steel fronts hardened H1000 method for a super tough and light FP. The receivers where also hardened at Blanchards after truing and no warpage as the precision bolts still functioned exactly the same before and after HT.
During all of this which brings me full circle to the intermediate 404 idea, I got to looking at my newly created magazine box and decided to plunk in some 404 Dakota feeding dummies I had on hand and those suckers fit in there perfectly 3 down easily under the bolt, nice I thought, maybe do one someday in 404 Dakota. This also made me curious about how well would the 376 Styer fit the box, it's a slam dunk too. Which then made be curious, how would a 6.5 x 284 look in there, it holds 4 down, the stack is a little wider do the smaller diameter 284 case but it works and feeds really nicely. I know this has turned into quite the wall of text, but this is how I arrived at what I know about fat cases in intermediate actions. Does Parkwest offer ammunition and brass for the Dakota cartridge line? If they don't they should, at this point I think there are quite a few folks out there faced with the no brass for a Dakota caliber rifle dilemma.

Posts: 1222 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote