Tools

Revisiting the 411/303 Lee Enfield
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted
Like I say - this is a re-visit. Wink
There are always fresh ideas and new info out there! beer

Been looking at the loading tables and it seems that a smaller capacity case might be just the ticket. I am thinking 411/303X45 or even 375/303X45. The idea is to trim the shoulder off the 303 Brit case and size to suite the chosen bullet. This would give a capacity between the 444 Marlin and 44 Mag. The 44 Mag in a rifle barrel is not to be scoffed at! I am thinking of seating quite far out to maximise OAL but am not sure what that would do to covering lube grooves on cast bullets. Then, if I were to be prepared to give up the standard staggard magazine (and the Lee Enfield has a horrible magazine anyway) I could easily consider a 44cal with a near straight case. This would presumably, give Marlin performance but at higher pressure for the proposed shorter case.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks good to me!

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:

Been looking at the loading tables and it seems that a smaller capacity case might be just the ticket. I am thinking 411/303X45 or even 375/303X45.

popcornAs long as your mind is working in that direction consider again the .358 X .303. There are a lot more bullets to play with; 110gr. pistol to 300gr gas checked. The latter would give you energy performance close to the 30-06. That's not too shabby. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
As long as your mind is working in that direction consider again the .358 X .303.
OK. It's just that big numbers i.e. big bores sound more impressive. In truth, the 358 is indeed a very practical consideration. For starters, no modifications to the action or magazine will be required plus I would be able to buy cast bullets off the shelf should I get too lazy to cast my own! The last time I cast, loaded and shot 357 bullets (357 Rossi carbine) they worked very well indeed - minute of angle with open sights! The mould was even dinged a bit on the inside. Besides, my Dad used to hunt Cape Buff with a 35 Remington, so the effectively identical 358x303 would carry a bit of nostalgia! What better reason do I need? thumb Mmmm..... If I get off my butt and do it I could have it off the ground while he is still with us. (He turns 90 in a few months). I have the barrelled action on it's way. All I have to do is open up the barrel, and I know a 'smith who has a barrel making machine (for reaming and rifling existing barrels).Mmmmm... Roll Eyes

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Well, my 'new' barrelled action arrived and after a bit fo fire-lapping, there is actually a bit of rifling in the bore! I might just leave as a 303. One never knows, it might just shoot OK once the worst part of the bore has been removed in shortening the barrel.

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 303Guy:
Well, my 'new' barrelled action arrived and after a bit fo fire-lapping, there is actually a bit of rifling in the bore! I might just leave as a 303. One never knows, it might just shoot OK once the worst part of the bore has been removed in shortening the barrel.

Anybody can have another .303! Don't loose your impedous. nillyroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
That is so true! Still, the old 303 carbine is a good starting point, methinks! I was about to make a 357 expander plug today when I remembered I had my No.4 sitting there waiting to get it's muzzle trimmed back a bit. I have had a few flyers out of otherwise healthy MOA groups. Now to re-test! (Hell, that Loc-tite stuff is hard to release! - I need to make sure I have the low temp one. I gave that bore a little more fire-lapping and am quite happy with the results).

Regards
303Guy