New
Find
Notify
Tools

my new 6.5 Gibbs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
rebarreled by romain's custom guns, with a 29.5" 1/8 fluted senduro weight (so they say but its much heavier than a senduro) kreiger.
glassed and pillared in a Joel Russo A-5 lam. seekins 20 MOA base burris XTR rings and a 6.5x20x50 loopy mk4, M1 TMR

RR

Born to Hunt, Forced to Work.

Posts: 103 | Location: Mathias wv | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Nice looking rig! I hope its as deadly for you as it looks. Smiler

What will you be using it for...hunting or paper, or both?

What made you decide on such a long barrel?

I have a 6.5 Gibbs in a sheep rifle. Have been toying with having a varminter/target rifle built in the same cartridge.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
canuck,
I chose the gibbs because I didn't own a rifle in a 6.5 cal. the reason for the long barrel is because the rifle is intended for LR chucks, coyotes, and targets.
Now to back up a bit, last year I had a LR big game rifle built chambered in 7mm Allen mag ( 7mm/338 lapua IMP) if I can get close to 3300 fps with a lapua 139 gr scenar, it'll mirror the trajectory of my 7 AM to 800 yds.
It wasn't planned to be this heavy, the barrel I ordered was supposed to be senduro weight but its alot heavier. but I think it'll serve the purpose.
RR

Posts: 103 | Location: Mathias wv | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
if I can get close to 3300 fps with a lapua 139 gr scenar,

You should be able to do it, or get darn close anyway. I get 3050 fps EASY with the 140 Sierra GK, and have pushed it over 3100 without any pressure signs. That's with a 24" barrel and RL 22.

Best of luck! Let us know how it works for you.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now to back up a bit, last year I had a LR big game rifle built chambered in 7mm Allen mag ( 7mm/338 lapua IMP) if I can get close to 3300 fps with a lapua 139 gr scenar

Never tried a 6.5Gibbs. However I had a 6.5PDK. My blown out improved 280 case. Holds about 2-3grs more water than the Gibbs. Tried it with a 29" beat 3300 with a nosler 140 and MRP and 5+ loading on the cases. Cut it back to 26" and dropped to around 3240fps. But it sure carried better.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, my gibbs is a temperamental beast, shoots about anything very well but having a rough time keeping cases after 1 firing if I load it beyond 3100 fps. I think I've found the problem though, think the main culprit is molly bullets.
I've tried IMR & H4831, IMR 7828, RE22, H1000 all with 140 moly amax's, if I broke 3150 fps the case was junk. I ran the H-1000 from the max of 62 gr on up to 66 gr and got 3040 fps with flattened primers.
So I took part of a box of the moly amax's, put them in the tumbler and cleaned them up to try them "nekkid". 63 gr of H-1000 gave me 3210 and the primers are still round.
Anybody else ever have this kind of experience with moly?
RR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ok, the main culprit in this dilemma is a tight necked chamber, turned the necks down to .010 thickness and can run it to 3400 fps with a 140 before I start losing the pockets, backed it down to 3270 fps and get 3+ firings from rem cases.
accuracy is excellant with any load I've tried, a 12x12 square is boringly easy to hit at 800 yds, groups at 500 tend to run 2-3" off a bipod, need to tweak my drop charts then I'm in business.
RR

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
3400 fps with a 140

Eeker

Thats pretty speedy!

Congrats on figuring out your problem. Mine has a tight neck too...trimming makes a big difference for me. And congrats on the good accuracy!

What powder are you using now?

Cheers,
Canuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
re22 is the fastest, can get almost as fast with H1000 but its a way over max charge from everything I've read. got nosler brass one the way maybe it'll do better with keeping primer pockets.
RR