Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.257 WSM
 Login/Join

posted
Have been reloading for quite awile but never any wildcats.Am contemplating building a 257 WSM.Could someone advise the proper method of making cases from say .270 WSM? Just run through the proper sizing die? Would a Redding die with the proper bushing work? Any help appreciated.Also interested in actual ballistics one could expect.Thanks.Frank.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Centurian,

There's an article in the current copy of Rifle Shooter on the 25 Pronghorn, which is exactly what you are wanting to do.

Hawkeye47

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i have said redding die and bushing... I did this in january 2000... and if you backtrack, that would be the month winchester released the drawing... in fact, the DAY they did, i had a 257WSM (jls) cut...

while it won't out perform the 257 weatherby, it is within an arms' length of it..

270wsm is far easier to from brass from.

I have a barrel (threaded for a springfield) and the dies that would be available for sale

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
According to the load data in that article, it surpasses the Weatherby using less powder in comparable loads. I'm having one built as we speak!

I like blowin' big holes in stuff...

Posts: 49 | Location: E. TN | Registered: 25 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am pretty darn sure it won't surpass the Roy, it could be made to do so if one was trying to make a point in favor of it. (which is what that writer was trying to do if he said it would run faster than a Roy-ego can be a terrible thing-I believe he also called it the 257 Pronghorn or some horse crap like that....grins

However, that can be done with any of this.

It is a nice round and a neat round but it aint gonna win any drag races with a Roy.

It'll be close but no tape for this one.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Understood, just repeating what I read. Author was showing 3600-3700fps w/100gr bullets. He did note that these were hot loads and every rifle is different. Comparing his results to the Nosler manual the Pronghorn appears to match or surpass the Weatherby. Then again, his rifle may spew parts on the next shot...
Regardless, I think for a short-action .257 this is a pretty good option. Brass is ALOT cheaper too!

I like blowin' big holes in stuff...

Posts: 49 | Location: E. TN | Registered: 25 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree on the fun scale it would be a blast to get one running.

I shoot a 6/06 and so I just can't see it for me.

I do however have a M70 in 338 WSM that I've had some thoughts of rebarreling and no doubt about it the 25 Lope is one of 2 ways I could/would go.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote