Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.338-08 any one have any info on this
 Login/Join

posted
A friend of mine has been messing around with some dies and made a few dummy rounds necking up .308 win brass to .338,
I didnt think there would be any advantage to this. He said well the .338-06 works so well and this should take advantage of the inherent accuracy of the .308 with a bigger bullet. I say the loss of powder capacity would take away from any gain in bullet weight.
Any one ever tryed it?? or have any oppinions on this

Thanks
TOM

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I recall an article in either Handloader or Rifle back in the early 80's. As I recall it could push a 210 gr Nosler Partition 2500 fps.

Personally I'd opt for the 358 Win, as it'll push 225 gr 2500, and there is a broader choices of bullets of appropriate weights, not to mention factory dies.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I agree that the .358 would be easier, it proves that the .338-08 is feasible. If you're just looking into it for fun, knock yourself out. If you are looking for more punch out of the .308 cartridge, like I said, try the .358 win.

Posts: 37 | Location: Groton, CT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted Hide Post
I have one and love it. Built it on a Rem M7 action and a 22" MRC bbl. Currently I shoot 200 gr bullets out of it but imagine 210 NPT would be better.

I wanted one just cause it was different.

BTW there is a set of dies for sale here.

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
there's no loss of capacity, if you seat the bullet to the shoulder.. in fact, with the great cross section, the same weight bullet can be pushed FASTER in a larger bore... for example, like paul said, the 358 can throw a 225 at 2500 fps.. all day.. and a 180 at 2800 NP... a 308 is about to BLOW with a 180 at 2600...

the loss is in SD...

seems that (just in some examples I've reviewed) a case necked up or down pushes the same SECTIONAL DENISTY bullet about the same velocity.....

jeffe

Posts: 38565 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote