Find
Notify
Tools

Re: wildcatting the WSSM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

I am thinking something like a .308/WSSM or maybe even a .323/WSSM. ...Anybody done it?
Blue

Got the dies sitting right here for the 308 WSSM, and Olympic Arms IIRC is offering it under the name 30 Olympic

Posts: 327 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been toying with the idea of a 6.5wssm myself.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The last four ten shot 1000 yard groups in comp out of my 6.5 Heaton(based on the 243wssm) have all been under moa.With two relay wins for group..Velocity is between the 260 Rem and 6.5-284..

Posts: 100 | Location: Lock Haven,Pa | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Several 1000 yard competitors have been doing pretty well with the 6.5WSSM and the 6.5 WSSM Improved. I suspect that the 6.5Improved will become a standard for long range hunting. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that's an awlful pretty cartridge.looks like the bullet is heading a bit to the west.i'm thinkin of having your buddy kevin build me a 6wssm if i could ever get a barrel.

Posts: 42 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Blue, since the case capacity of the WSSM is just about exactly the same as the Mauser case, but runs at a little higher pressure, I'd say that whatever the 6.5x55 or the 260 does, the 6.5WSSM will do a little better.

In other words, enough, yes; though not ideal. I cannot imagine there being enough difference between the improved version and the 270 or even the 280, 284, 7x57, etc, that anyone would be able to find it. With a good, stout bullet, it would be a good "entry level" cartridge for new hunters. I've thought about building one for my little girl, but that seems silly, when you can buy a 25WSSM off the shelf. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have'nt you got that thing yet?????

Posts: 100 | Location: Lock Haven,Pa | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinkin a 6.5 is in order.

Posts: 81 | Location: Up nort | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote