Find
Notify
Tools

257 SHORT MAG
 Login/Join

<aussie john>
posted
Hi all

Does anyone have any idea in regards to Remington releasing at .257 with a short fat case? This has obviously been wildcatted already, can anyone tell me how it performs in a 26 inch barrel with 87, 100 and 120 grain bullets?
What powders and charge weights?

I am a big fan of the 25-06 and this may be a new toy in the making.

shoot safe
John
Australia

http://www.ssaa.org.au/

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
hadn't heard this, yet... i did a wildcat on the wsm the first day the drawings where released.. it dupes the 257 weatherby
jeffe

Posts: 38510 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aussie John,

The talk was that Winchester was going to come out with a 257WSM but since the WSSM's came out No one has mentioned the 257WSM.

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I've done a .257WSM, With 100gr grain bullets I've gone to 3580fps with 64 1/2gr of RL-22 powder. 64 1/2gr of this powder comes to base of the shoulder (case volume) and I have not witnessed any pressure signs, so I know there is more velocity to be had. IMO, 3580-3600FPS is plenty, tring to go faster is just for braging rights (bench racing) [Big Grin]

Mine is built on a Remington 700 SA, I bought a aftermarket magazine and follower for it. It works OK, but since I built mine, Remington has started chambering thier SAUM in the 700. I'll change the magazine and follower to a factory setup before I actully hunt with this rifle.  -

[ 07-25-2003, 18:28: Message edited by: TC1 ]

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
4 years ago I gave strong consideration to a case design that mirrors a Rem short UM case while working on the 257DGR- the idea was dropped at the time due to all of the modifications needed to the action and the cost of the expensive form dies needed to make the brass- now however all that part has changed.
Case capacity calculations at the time projected about a 2% gain over a 25/284 case- However due to the need to seat bullets deeper into the 25/284 to fit the sa mag box, usable capacity was closer to 3.5%- so in theory a person would have a 25-06AI in a short action or something in that vicinity- if time permits the winter- one willl be built and tested.