New
Find
Notify
Tools

358 WSM or SAUM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'd like to hear about experiences with these wildcats. I hear that RCBS makes dies for the WSM version.....and don't tell me to build a 350 Rem Mag.....

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
The .358WSM is now called the 35 Sambar and was written up and talked up in Australia 1-2 years ago.

Cartridges of the World has a write-up on it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is one of the better WSM wildcats and duplicates the 358 Norma Mag...plenty of power for anything in NA. Available bullets are short for their weight, which mitigates the short magazine. If you include .357 pistol bullets, you can shoot 110 to 310 grains. These short fat cases are excellent for reduced loads, so the pistol bullets should be very accurate.

Expansion ratio is quite similar to the 308 win, and a lot of powders should work well from a 22 inch bbl. Recoil wil full power loads should be similar to the 338 Win Mag in rifles of equal weight.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rembo,
PM me your email address and I'll send you an Excel spreadsheet of the loads developed for the article on the 35 Sambar. Loads were just shy of the 358Norma.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rembo. If you decide to go with the 35wsm let me know> We could split some of the costs. Mark

A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which he proposes to pay off with your money. Gordon Liddy

Posts: 199 | Location: Sask, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I sold my donor rifle so it's back to the drawing board.
If I do decide to do a 35WSM I'll let you know.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
rembo,
the 35 wsm is probably the second best thing to do with a wsm case... and a shortaction..

the best is probably the 338x7wsm (the 7 is SLIGHTLY larger capacity)

Rick jamison came up with the XXX jamison, from 22 through 45, on the jeffery case, which his published data is withing 2 or 3 grains of the wsm cases.

I've got a mexican mauser in 358 win, that one day might get jumped up...

the 350 jamison lists as 84 gr h20
the 350 rem lists as 72 gr (same as a whelen, btw)

the 358 norma at 88gr...

your call, but anyone that tells you to build a 350 rem just doesn't have all the facts, as the wsm based id .03" longer, loads thicker, and 10 grains more capacity

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think with the 35wsm built on a short M70 with bullets seated out to 3" you should get better than 2700fps with the 250's and 2800fps + with 225's,about 150fps over the 350 rem.Built with a light 23" barrel and synthetic stock it would make a great back pack rifle for grizz,I maty have just talked myself into one!!

Posts: 120 | Location: yukon | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote