Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-284 improved questions
 Login/Join

posted
I am in the proccess of having a 6.5-284 Shehane (improved version) built with a 26" Hart barrel. The action is a long 700 Remington. What kind of muzzle velocities can I expect with 140 gr. bullets? I've been told I can benifit from the long action by seating bullets further out and increasing case capacity. Does anyone have starting load data or any info that might be usful (I am new to this game, so any info will be appreciated no matter how simple or obvious)?

<JOHAN>
posted
Well

I have only heard about the 6mm Tooley Shehane. Which is based on a 7,5X55 Swiss.

There is not soo much to improve on the 6,5-284 Norma. With the Norma you will get enough velocity and have acess to match grade brass from Lapua, Norma and Hornady. The only sources I know of for 7,5X55 brass is RWS or Norma. None is easy to find in USA and will be costly. Think again before you decide..

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
You might want to call Bill for his rec: loads. I tried the 140 in my 6.5/284 but it really likes the 142gr best. They say vel is best at around 2900fps with the 142 gr. I'm at 50.5/R22 with 142 gr. Tom

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Quote:

" I've been told I can benifit from the long action by seating bullets further out and increasing case capacity. Does anyone have starting load data or any info that might be usful "( Yes you get a performance gain if you seat the bullets out as far as your magazine and throat length allow you.The guy who chambers your rifle has to give you a longer than normal throat.Ackley's people chambered one like this for me in "66" or "67" No pun intended but it was a blast.
The loading data I started with was Speers published data for the .256 Newton. There is better info to be had today. Ricardelli might pick up this thread and help you more.Other brothers I'm sure will tell you where to go.Roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to see a drawing of that case. Perhaps you have the dimensions?

Posts: 281 | Location: MN | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I don't currently have the specs. I can barrow the reamer from my father-in-law, and that is why I am thinking about this wildcat. I will try to contact him and get specs.