Find
Notify
Tools

358 STA
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted
Who has one of these? How do you like it? In your opinion is recoil tolerable in a rifle just under 8 lbs( I weigh 240 lbs)? Will this fit in the magazine from a 7mm Rem Mag (a M70 SG is what I'm considering rebarreling). I'll measure eventually. Do you like to use 8mm rem Mag brass or 375 H&H?

-------------------------------
Too many people........

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
shesh..

even for me, recoil is rough in a sub 8# gun.. you can get headstamped brass, but 8rem, 416 rem,m 375 weatherby are the easist to make from.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38486 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I built one when I built my 7STW. Found that with a lot more barrel, powder and recoil I could get 125fps more than my factory 358 norma in a 21". Unless you are immune to recoil it will get your attention is a less than 8# rifle.

In a M70 the easiest thing is to contact the factory and get a 300Wby mag box ejector and bolt stop. Or you can remove the spacer and shorten the stop and ejector. I've done it both ways and just buy the replacements now.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boilerroom:
Who has one of these? How do you like it? In your opinion is recoil tolerable in a rifle just under 8 lbs( I weigh 240 lbs)? Will this fit in the magazine from a 7mm Rem Mag (a M70 SG is what I'm considering rebarreling). I'll measure eventually. Do you like to use 8mm rem Mag brass or 375 H&H?

Boilerroom, get ahold of Dan Beslisle, I'm pretty sure he has extensive experience with this calibre.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
It'll recoil more than a 7 mag Big Grin I considered building one, but settled on the 350 rigby, essentially the same as a 358 Norma. If I'm going to put up with more recoil, then I wanter a bigger bullet, not more speed. But, if you want a 400 yd moose gun, it's probably about as good as it gets.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cobra:
quote:
Originally posted by boilerroom:

Boilerroom, get ahold of Dan Beslisle, I'm pretty sure he has extensive experience with this calibre.

Well that don't surprise me. Everytime I consider an odd calibre he has extensive experience with it. Cool

Too many people........

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm Building one on a win 70 action. I want it to weigh in at 9 lbs with a scope. Should get your attention but when you're looking at an elk across a canyon you'll never feel it. I think 8 lbs is just about right for the rifle alone. Add a scope, a full magazine of cartridges and a sling and you'll be at 9 or 9.25 lbs. Perfect.
John

Posts: 855 | Location: Belgrade, Montana | Registered: 06 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used one for 5 yr. Mine is on a Sako L691. 7lb. with scope. Recoill is similar to 375 H+H. It is the best rifle I have for long range shooting. Lots of heavy,long bullets. 250gr. @ about 3200. Approx 1000 rd. thru this one from 125gr. handgun bullets to 250gr. Northforks. I also have a 35/404imp. It would prob get a few more fps but I've never really pushed it. You will not be sorry if you go this route.If you contact me I will go thru my data with you. Mark

A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which he proposes to pay off with your money. Gordon Liddy

Posts: 199 | Location: Sask, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Much appreciated. beer

Too many people........

one of us
posted Hide Post
boilerroom,

I built A left hand M/70 358STA. Yoy will need the magazine, follower, ejector and bolt stop for the longer calibers such as the 375 H&H/416 Rem Mag. The rear bridge of the receiver should be machined to the rear to increase the ejection port. This will remove the forward scope base hole and you will have to drill and tap a new hole at .330" from the rear scope base hole to match the Safari Express patern.

Headache

Posts: 158 | Location: Danbury, CT 06810 USA | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a couple of .358 STA's, both on Model 70 actions. The first is a custom produced by Winchester for A-Square several years ago. I really don't know the weight, a guess would 91/2 to 10 pounds with scope. I put a muzzle brake on it and is about like my straight barrel .300 Winny in recoil. A real sweety to shoot, it has been with me to Colorado, Alberta, Alaska and Africa, and with North Forks from 225, 250 and 270 grain bullets has one hole accuracy and will deal with anything that walks. The second is a Model 70 Custom post 64 action with "Lilja" barrel and H&S precision stock,(I replaced a stunning custom thumbhole that murdered my trigger hand). It also has a brake, the same accuracy as the other rifle and gets 50 to 150 fps faster speeds than the Winchester barrel. Both have 4.5 X 14 Leupold Vari X 111 scopes with fine duplex crosshairs. It is my backup and my son's number one Elk rifle. In 2003 he killed a nice Bull at 125 yards with the 270 grain North Fork passing through both shoulders and then killing a cow bedded down 25 yards behind it with the bullet lodged in the scull on the offside. ----- From a .358 nut you will not be sorry for choosing the STA if you practice enough to become proficient with it's use, any of the Model 70 magnum actions will work. wave Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2349 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of short44
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have an extra 358 STA shell they could let go ?

Dwindling the worlds lead supply one cat at a time!!

Posts: 407 | Location: Right here ! | Registered: 10 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
You guys are making me drool.

There is actually two of us thinking of chambering for this round(save money on the reamer). If you had to make a purchase for a rifle to re-barrel to this round would the M70 magnum be the way to go? How about a Ruger?

Too many people........

one of us
posted Hide Post
boileroom ----- Years ago I asked the same question of my gunsmith. After 10 minutes of words I cannot repeat here about the Ruger trigger, I quitely accepted his reccomendation of the Model 70. I was thinking then of building a STA, then was lucky enough to find the two I have on GunsAmerica. If I were starting from scratch today I would use the Model 70 action and Lilja barrel. Lilja built the first barrel for Layne Simpson and Kenny Jarrett when they came up with the idea. I have a great article by Simpson if you would want a copy, it was invaluable to me when I started reloading for the STA. thumb Good shooting.

phurley

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phurley5:
boileroom ----- Years ago I asked the same question of my gunsmith. After 10 minutes of words I cannot repeat here about the Ruger trigger, I quitely accepted his reccomendation of the Model 70. I was thinking then of building a STA, then was lucky enough to find the two I have on GunsAmerica. If I were starting from scratch today I would use the Model 70 action and Lilja barrel. Lilja built the first barrel for Layne Simpson and Kenny Jarrett when they came up with the idea. I have a great article by Simpson if you would want a copy, it was invaluable to me when I started reloading for the STA. thumb Good shooting.

I'm not a fan of the triggers on the two Rugers I've owned but I have to say the rifles were really strong and reliable. Trigger work can be done and theres always replacements. I'm a fan of both the M77 II and M70 for reliability and durability.

Could you scan and e-mail the artical? I don't want to be too much of a pain. Thanks for the offer. beer

Too many people........

one of us
posted Hide Post
boileroom ----- I will attempt it with help, if you don't get it with a couple of days send me a PM and I will snail mail it. I am a complete neophyte when it comes to computors. My business has the scanner and when I fetch the article from home I will give it a go. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I guess you can call me a Ruger fan, but I personally think the M-77 mkII has a well designed trigger, it's just that Ruger doesn't properly finish it. Mechanically it really isn't a different design than the M-70 trigger, it just doesn't have any adjustment. Stoning and polishing the parts result in a smooth trigger, a lighter trigger return spring is sometimes need, and an overtravel screw finishes it off.

I'd say most gunsmiths badmouth the Ruger w/o ever having worked on them. They can produce a rifle just as accurate as any of the other common hunting bolt actions on the market, given a good truing and a properly fit and chambered barrel.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
A STA would not fit in my MKII can you just buy a magazine box and parts for the H&H version?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
There was an article in Rifle about how to make a mkII fit a full length magnum round, I believe all that was required was fitting the longer magazine from the magnum ruger. I had a copy of the article but don't recall where I put it.

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phurley5:
boileroom ----- I will attempt it with help, if you don't get it with a couple of days send me a PM and I will snail mail it. I am a complete neophyte when it comes to computors. My business has the scanner and when I fetch the article from home I will give it a go. wave Good shooting.

No hurries. I'd hate for you to have to part with your article. I guess a copy of some sort would be the way to go. I'll PM you an e-addy. I share your ignorance towards computers also. Big Grin

Too many people........

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
I guess you can call me a Ruger fan, but I personally think the M-77 mkII has a well designed trigger, it's just that Ruger doesn't properly finish it. Mechanically it really isn't a different design than the M-70 trigger, it just doesn't have any adjustment. Stoning and polishing the parts result in a smooth trigger, a lighter trigger return spring is sometimes need, and an overtravel screw finishes it off.

I'd say most gunsmiths badmouth the Ruger w/o ever having worked on them. They can produce a rifle just as accurate as any of the other common hunting bolt actions on the market, given a good truing and a properly fit and chambered barrel.

Ruger's a tough rifle and I'd be happy to own another one for a work horse. I have the brands I turn to accuracy and then theres the rifles I turn to for reliabilty. A little work on the trigger and a qulity barrel and I don't see how it could not be accurate if the smith and the shooter did their end of the job. I had a M77 II in 270 that was super accurate out of the box. I pulled many a shots because of the stiff trigger but never cared in those days. My M77 II in 7mm Rem Mag was never a very good shooter but I've killed 75% of my game with it and its rolled on quads, down slides while strapped to back packs on my back and into rocky creeks while I was crossing slimey logs 10 feet high. A fellow bought it less than a year ago and the scrstches were not deep at all on the canoe paddle. He E-mailed me and said he was completelty satisfied with his purchase. I kinda miss that old warrior. boohoo

Too many people........

one of us
posted Hide Post
boileroom ----- An excerpt from the article by Layne Simpson. "A nutshell description of the .358 Alaskan is that is shoots as flat as the .300 Magnums and delivers more energy at all ranges than Holland's .375 Magnum. It's perfect for smashing both shoulders of a big bear at close range, yet shoots flat enough for Elk, Moose, and Caribou in open country." I have been shooting both my STA's for three four years now and can attest to it's power on Elk, Deer, Hartebeest, Zebra, and Impala. Your Province should be the perfect place for this great round. thumb Good shooting.

phurley

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
A graet choice on my moose/griz combo hunts.

Too many people........

One of Us
Picture of short44
posted Hide Post
So no one can let a shell go for my bullet board ?

one of us
posted Hide Post
short44 ----- Let me know what you want good buddy, and I will send you one. How about I seat a bullet in an unprimed case. If that will do, I'll be glad to accomodate. wave Good shooting.

phurley

One of Us
Picture of short44
posted Hide Post
Thank you phurley... I just got this beast of a shell, man its not a small one by no means, Thanks for adding one more to the board... This is what you guys use as a smallgame round for up north right ? thumb

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Come to think of it, my 350 Rigby is my smallest centerfire rifle Confused Guess it's time a get a 300 mag so I have a small bore Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of short44
posted Hide Post
Damn the biggest I have ever had was my 30-06.. I have a 44 mag now. Now my brother has a Sako in 338 Lapua mag, why he has that for north Florida deer and hog I'll never understand ?

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
My wife claimed my .308, so that left me with the 350 Rigby, 458 Lott and 500 Jeffrey Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of short44
posted Hide Post
I take it that you dont go squirrel hunting ?