New
Find
Notify
Tools

375/284 or 375/06 load data
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have any loading data for either 375/284 or 375/06.

Thanks

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scroll down about 8 questions and you will find I asked the same question. In "Cartridges of the World" it gives specs for a 416/284. 300 gn pill at 2475 fps and a 400 gn'er at 2150 fps. Apparently the same case has been necked up and down to every other diameter projectile you can poke a stick at.
Load from a Disc suggests 2145 fps with a 300 gn, 2255fps with a 270 gn and 2400 fps with a 235 pill and that's from a short little 22" barrel. The 30/06 case shows an increase of about 3 grains of water so Load from a Disc gives the above figures an extra 35 fps only
Years ago I used to chase the Sambar in Victoria and a 375 wildcat on the 338 Win mag case was quite popular. From memory the velocities were equal to the 375 H&H.
I've already rang most of the Aussie gunsmiths about reamers, no one so far has a 375/06, some have said "maybe" to a chamber using the 338 Win mag case and two other Victorians have said
" what the *%#@& are you buggerising around with wildcats for" No wonder PO Ackley started making his own stuff.
Good luck with your wildcat and please let me know if you are successful with a reamer
Malcolm56

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually I have posted the question for someone else.

A 375/06 should be easy enough to do if a gunsmith has a 30/06 reamer with removable pilot and 375 for neck. Try Robert Tobler on
02 48851881

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is that word again--"IF , they had reamer with a removable pilot" I have rang Tobler, Kudu Services, Pro Cal-----you name 'em, I've rang 'em, and no luck. I have done a lot of reading , thinking and fiddling on these wildcats. I think the best option would be using the 9.3x62 case. More capacity than an 06 Imp case, still fits a standard action, still feeds from a standard action
just my two cent's worth Malcolm56

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
link
Z-Hat
Mike

If you have not already found these it should help. Keep in mind that the Hawk/Scovill is an improved version.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I've got a Mark X action with a medium target weight barrel 375 Whelen/375-06.
When I started working up loads loading data was scarce. I had planned to use this rifle with cast bullets exclusevely, and to day there's never been a jacketed slug down the barrel.
I've used the loading data for the 35 Whelen. I just matched the 35 Whelen's bullet weight to the closet cast bullet I was working with and used the same powders.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Just courious but what about the 9.3x62 as an option?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Malcolm56

I am suprised Tobler did not have a 30/06 reamer with removable pilot. Maybe he has a 270.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike 375, and Bluetick We wildcat thinkers, that reside here in Oz have got buckley's of building up our wildcat dreams. That is unless we go the whole hog and start importing our own reamers from the good 'ol USA. The way I see it, ( now bear in mind I aint no gunsmith, in fact I did woodwork at school and not metal work so only recently I thought a "mill" was something that ground grain for breakfast ceral) if I get off my bum I'll ask Clymer to prepare me a reamer to take out my 06 based chambers ( 30/06, 35 Whelan and 25/06) to utilise the 9.3x62 case.
I guess the job will require so sort of body reamer, then maybe some sort of adjustable pilots with different throats. I can only assume the same reamer will clean up exsisting
chambers as well as do new barrels.
To answer Bluetick----yes I do know about Z Hat,
I love what he has done, and that is why I mention the 9.3x62 case. I shrugged off my midlife crisis at 40 but now I'm approaching 50 maybe I will lash out and get what I have always wanted!!!!!!!!! Mike 375, I also are from Sydney --we should get together and wildcats
Malcolm56 "wildcats rule"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Malcolm,

You might find Manson reamers are the best to deal with.

My wildcatting days are long past. My best shooting mate followed on from me and he has now finished as well.

With the exception of the 358 STA our stuffing about has been on the small bores such as 6mm/06, 25/300 Win, 270/300 Win, 7mm/300 Win, 6.5/300 Wby, 7mm STW (when it was a wildcat), 300 Jarret and also 338/378 when it was a wildcat. That was all with Tobler. Before I met Tobler in the mid to late 1980s I had with the late Don Black the 25/308 Norma, 270/308 Norma, 6mm/264 Win, 218 Imp Bee and 219 Imp Zipper and 270 Win Imp.

Tobler has a 6mm/264 reamer down there because my mate was going one and also a 20/223WSSM reamer. There is also a 25 Rem Ultra with removable pilot that is a Manson reamer at Toblers.

Wildcatting in Australia seems more prevalent on the small bores although there are 585 Nyatis and 450 Ackleys and 375 Improveds about the place.

Mike

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Call Dave Kiff at PTG, or better yet, buy his chamber print book.

Zeglin's chamber reamers AREN'T proprietary, cause I just bought one from PTG in February for .375 Hawk/Scovill.

If you've got somebody down there that can build it to print....you're in business.

Only got 15 rounds down the tube now, using the fireforming load on Zeglin's website - 55g H4895 behind a 270 Hornady was giving me 2535fps on average. And that's out of a 22" barrel.

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i will suggest that if you want a short 375, you just get the 376 steyr...

jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jeffeosso, now thats not a bad idea!!!!!!
anyone have any experience with the 376 Steyr??
I just looked up the specs and my local gunshop can arrange cases, now you have me thinking
Malcolm56

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing against the 376, but if you can fit an '06 case, and you're willing to trouble with getting that 376 to feed, why on earth not go for a 375x9.3x64mm? IOW, the full-length case from which the 376 was made?
With it you can get H&H factory velocities. It's a hair's breadth from a beltless 375 C-T, without the magnum boltface.
Check a brass source first, of course, but assuming that, it makes a lot of sense.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana-be:
Nothing against the 376, but if you can fit an '06 case, and you're willing to trouble with getting that 376 to feed, why on earth not go for a 375x9.3x64mm?

BB,
the "feeding troubles" are about 30 seconds with a dremel and a polishing pad. The bolt face takes any smith about 156 mins, tops...

Malcolm,
there's quite a few of us here that have the 376

the 375 whelen - 74gr h20
376 steyr 81gr h20
375/285 ... about 73 gr...
that is, assuming that the 284 is 1 gr lower than the 280 rem, that this would go the same.

So, the steyr is ~10% larger case capacity, factory brass, bullets, loaded ammo, is .2" longer than a 284, isnt rebated, matches the 375HH (at higher pressure) and you can put 4 down in most mausers without ANY real work...

yeah, it's a pretty cool round...

oh, did I mention that reamers are available, today... i'd even rent mine and headspace gages

dies are CHEAP too

it's a #42 shell holder

and it can be VERY effectivly loaded into a 3.1" OAL, which fits the "short" actions.

Downside?
nearly everyone says "376 wha-huh?"

jeffe

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jeffeosso, I hear what you are saying, as I said I have already checked out local suppliers
for cases and factory ammo. I appreciate your offer of a reamer, but I'm on the other side of the world in Australia. I will be doing the "ring around" to Aussie gunsmiths looking for a reamer. Because it is a fairly new round I don't like my chances but who knows-----I may get lucky. Believe or not, when the round first became available,about 4 or 5 years ago I did a bit of a write up for my local deer hunting magazine on it's virtues, and I can't, for the life of me, figure out why I did not think of this round earlier.
Maybe Alzhiemers is setting in early
Malcolm56

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I've got both now, the .376 Steyr and the .375 Hawk/Scovill....

So far the Hawk/Scovill has absolutely trounced the Steyr on the chronograph. I have to heavily compress the loads for the Steyr(using the tumbler vibration trick I learned here a couple of weeks ago), to match loads for the Hawk that seem mundane. Barrel length is within 1.5" of each other.

I've got LOTS of room for OAL changes on the Hawk(on a Mark X action), but the magazine on the Pro-Hunter pretty much regulates that for you on the Steyr. If you're building on a Mauser - you'll have plenty of room there, though.

I realize in a way I'm comparing apples to oranges...but I'm of the thought that I can always pick up 30-06 or 35 Whelen brass here....while .376 Steyr(and I've got a bunch of brass), may be a little difficult to find in a couple of years.

Anybody know for sure about the "new" Steyr-USA importing any more rifles? Heard a rumor they needed an order of 250???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and you're willing to trouble with getting that 376 to feed

Mine feeds wonderfully without any adjusting.

As an aside Do I need to go get another lifetime supply of brass for the 376 steyr? Anyone know if its on its last legs?

Posts: 153 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fireball168:

So far the Hawk/Scovill has absolutely trounced the Steyr on the chronograph.

Huh?

You have, at best, an equal powder capacity, in both cases... with the 376 slightly ahead

BENCHMARK is my powder of choice for the 376

jeffe

476AR,

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
Originally posted by fireball168:

So far the Hawk/Scovill has absolutely trounced the Steyr on the chronograph.

Huh?

You have, at best, an equal powder capacity, in both cases... with the 376 slightly ahead

BENCHMARK is my powder of choice for the 376

jeffe

With 300 grainers there(so far at least), is no comparison - with 4895.. You can't fit enough powder in the thing with your fixed OAL restricted by the magazine on the Steyr. With the longer box on a Mauser action...things might be a lot different.