Find
Notify
Tools

Increasing 7,62x54R
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello guys,
I've previously asked about larger bored wildcats of the .308 and .348 Win amongst others.
Does anyone know of increased bores based on the 7,62x54R?
There used to be a semi-factory round in 9,3mm loaded by Sako, but it's pretty much demised now.
There was an interesting discussion around this on the NitroExpress forum to which I also contributed.

I'd be curious to know if anyone has experimented with other diameters like e.g. .338, .358, and .40's?
What kind of velocities have been achieved?
Of the above, the .338 would probably be identical to the 8,2mm (.323"), and the .358 for all intents and purposes the twin of the 9,3mm (.366").

- Lars

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 552 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 338 X 57R Lars has a tad more power than the 358 Winchester. I abandoned the idea along with the 338 X284 about 15 years ago and opted for a 7 X 65R case. The 57R and 284 cases can not approach the ballistics of the 7X65R case,ALA Gibbs.

Have been using those rimmed 7X57 cases for a project in calibers 224-6.5.
Neal

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
The Russians have a 9mm on the case. It is intended as a bear gun.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
The Russians have a 9mm on the case. It is intended as a bear gun.

Yes, it is called the "Medved" and is basically an enlarged Kalshnikov AK rifle, similar to a "Saiga". It has been issued to professional Russian hunters in Siberia for at least 30 years, maybe 40 or more, that I personally know of.

The cartridge is nothing more or less than the 7.62x54 necked up to 9 m/m. I have tried for at least 20 years to get one imported into the U.S., with no success

--------

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've often wondered how the 54R would be in a Gibbs/Ackley version, either necked up or down. Might be kinda' fun in a #1.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
I've often wondered how the 54R would be in a Gibbs/Ackley version, either necked up or down. Might be kinda' fun in a #1.

Yeh, I hadn't really ever contemplated one of those, but now that you mention it, Craigster, it would likely be a really good round. I know the 7.62x54R is often loaded in eastern Europe to easily equal .30-'06 performance with bullets up to 180 grains or so.

So maybe a "7.62x54R-AI, would give a guy [pretty much .30-'06 AI improved performance from a rimmed case in a No.1 Ruger.

Taking that a step farther, maybe a guy could also have a rough equivalent of a rimmed .338-'06-AI too. Now that might be snarky-neat....sure wouldn't run into too many at our local range!

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure how available the 54R case is. The 57R case is very available outside of the U.S.A.
I see Graf& Son has the Norma 7X57R cases now.

Power: 57R case ALA Gibbs will run with 06 ballistics up to but not including the 180 grain bullet. If one makes sure to throat for the longer bullets and use a long action or single shot to fit the longer bullets (180 & above) then it would be a fine round for about any critter except for Brown bear.

Neal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norma brass and Winchester "white box" loaded ammo is available from Midway.

AC,

I think I'll do one of each, and maybe a .375 and a .400, all in custom #1's. That ought to pretty well cover it. I'll have to win the Lotto first, but I'm planning on winning in the next couple of months.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure how available the 54R case is. The 57R case is very available outside of the U.S.A.
I see Graf& Son has the Norma 7X57R cases now.

I got my 7.62X54R cases from Graf's. It has their store brand headstamp.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote