New
Find
Notify
Tools

.338/.350 Remington Magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to hear your opinions on necking down the .350 Remington Magnum cartridge to .338. What do you think of this?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it would be a fine round. Redding makes dies for it. They list them under custom. IMHO I would go with a 338 WSM just becuase of brass. Probably very comparable to a 338-06 on either case. Unless you are going to use very light bullets, You might get more velocity from the 35 bullet. A 35cal bullet shorter in length (less friction from the shank) and bigger bearing surface being pushed. I just went through the same thing. I looked at both of the mentioned. I had a long action so I just went with a 338-06, instead of tracking down a donor action with a mag bolt face. I went with 338 over the Wheelen becuase of bullet selection. I would like to know what you decide and get some data when it is done.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Should make a fine cartridge, but personally I'd go the other way and neck-up to .375 caliber.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would like to hear your opinions on necking down the .350 Remington Magnum cartridge to .338.
It's "only" a 338'06 on a 308-length case. Seems to me a short action rifle ought to be matched with a shorter barrel which would reduce a 338's advantage over a 358. As others have mentioned the 375/350 RM looks interesting too but how about Waters' 416 Express instead? Then you'd have 405 Winchester ballistics in a short action short barrel... Good hunting and Merry Christmas!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mb, I just started a thread on big bore. I was asking about twisting RUM brass down to 416 or 375 to get 450Marlin case capcity with no belt. Do you have any info on the Waters 416 Express?

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I think it would be a .338/'06 with a shorter, fatter belted case. I would prefer it without the belt-a .338/.284 Win.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the 30-06, 284, and 350rem are all nearly exactly the same capacity, and so you can judge from there.

would be a neat little rifle

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38607 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you have any info on the Waters 416 Express?
It was in either _Rifle_ or _Handloader_ some time back. Check with Wolfe Publishing for details.

one of us
posted Hide Post
And, just to add a little variety: John Barsness recently did an article for Handloader magazine (or Rifle; I can't remember which) about the 9.3 Barsness-Sisk wildcat; aka the 9.3 B-S. The .350 Rem Mag Case necked up to 9.3mm (.366"). It basically duplicates 9.3x62 ballistics in a short action. No big surprise there. From reading his article, it did seem like a neat little cartridge.

Just my ramblings.....
-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at cartridged based off of the 350 Rem Mag. I thought .338 was a great option until Bob mentioned the 9.3. I have a Rem SA 700 action that is going to be my next project gun. The bolt face would have to be opened up but I don't believe it would be a problem. My other 2 thoughts were 458-2 American and 20 tactical. From one end to the other hey!

Posts: 21 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Then you could neck the 350 rem mag down to 30 cal. Had a mate who did this, can't remember exactly what ballistics he got, but from what I can remember wasn't far off the 300 SAUM.

I have heard of the 6.5 Remington Magnum case being necked up to .284 by an Australian gun scribe Nick Harvey and got about 3080 fps with 160gr. he then had the round christened the 7mm HM (Harvey Magnum).

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Using the 300SAUM case you have more case capacity and still stay under 2.8in col to work thru a short action. I have stretched a 300 SAUM to 35 ca, and a 250 woodleigh seated to 2.8 col does not take up any powder space.
And no belt ! ! ! !

Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote