THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    WILDCAT RELOADING TABLE FOR 6XCVE, A 243 ACKLEY IMP HEADSPACED AT 22-250 LENGTH.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WILDCAT RELOADING TABLE FOR 6XCVE, A 243 ACKLEY IMP HEADSPACED AT 22-250 LENGTH.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6XCVE
posted
6XCVE RELOADING TABLE

CASES.....PRIMER.....POWDER........GRAINS.......PROJECTILE-6MM.........OAL..............AVG,VEL.......GROUP
Win..........CCI 200.....ADI BM2..........34.5..........Taipan 70gr Hp...........on lands........3325.............n/a
Russian....CCI 200.....ADI BM2..........34.5..........Taipan 70gr Hp...........on lands........3356.............n/a
Russian....Win WLR....ADI BM2..........35.............Taipan 70gr Hp...........on lands........3356.............n/a
Win..........Win WLR....ADI BM2..........35.............Taipan 70gr Hp............on lands.......3356.............n/a
PMC.........Win WLR....ADI BM2...........35.............Taipan 70gr Hp...........on lands.......3356...............n/a
Win..........CCI 200.....2206................37.............55gr Bal tip.................2500............3454.............. .950
Win..........CCI 200.....2206................38.............55gr Bal tip.................2500............3555.............. .890
Win..........CCI 200.....2206................39.............55gr Bal tip.................2500............3642.............. .860
Win..........CCI 200.....2208 Varget....38.............55gr Bal tip.................2500............3381............ 1.075
Win..........CCI 200.....2208 Varget....39.............55gr Bal tip.................2500............3463.............. .800
Win..........CCI 200.....2208 Varget....40.............55gr Bal tip.................2500............3555.............. .392
Win..........CCI 200.....2206................37.............55gr Blitz king............2500............3436.............. .682
Win..........CCI 200.....2206................38.............55gr Blitz king............2500............3560.............. .800
Win..........CCI 200.....2206................39.............55gr Blitz king............2500............3623............ 1.000
Win..........CCI 200.....2208 Varget....38.............55gr Blitz king.............2500............3401.............. .650
Win..........CCI 200.....2208 Varget....39.............55gr Blitz king.............2500............3458.............. .845
Win..........CCI 200.....2208 Varget....40.............55gr Blitz king.............2500............3555.............. .965
Win..........CCI 200.....2206................36.............Taipan 60gr Hp...........2480............3440............ 1.160
Win..........CCI 200.....2206................37.............Taipan 60gr Hp...........2480............3499.............. .875
Win..........CCI 200.....2206................38.............Taipan 60gr Hp...........2480............3584.............. .890
Win..........CCI 200.....2208 Varget....37.............Taipan 60gr Hp............2480...........3358.............. .785
Win..........CCI 200.....2208 Varget....38.............Taipan 60gr Hp............2480...........3423............ 1.425
Win..........CCI 200.....2208 Varget....39.............Taipan 60gr Hp............2480...........3485............ 1.210

1. No responsibility accepted or implied, in any way, for any use, of the above loads or components. This is to show what I have done, not to guide any one else. Do your own research as I did.
2. Average velocity over 5 shots. Is highest and lowest ignored, then the highest and lowest left are added and divided by 2. This is the quickest and easiest way and helps to eliminate any errors from the chronograph.
3. All projectiles seated at least 100 thousands of an inch into the case neck. Except for fire forming loads which were seated into the lands by closing the bolt.

If a sportsman true you'd be
Listen careefully to me........., Never, never let your gun Pointed be at anyone, That it may unloaded be Matters not the least to me. When a hedge of fence you cross Though of time it cause a loss From your gun the cartridge take For the greater safety sake. If between you and a neighbour's gun Bird shall fly or beast may run Let this rule be thine "Follow not accross the line." Stops and beaters often unseen Lurk behind some Leafy screen. Calm and steady always be "Never shoot where you can't see."
You may kill or you may miss
But at all times think of this:
"All the game ever bred Won't repay one man dead."

Posts: 42 | Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does it differ much from the 6mm-250 International? In what way?

Posts: 46 | Location: Erie, PA | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6XCVE
posted Hide Post
Hi John358, Thanks for the query.
The 6XCVE is very similar to the to the the Walker or Donaldson version of the 6mm-250 International, in that I use a 22-250 Rem case to fire form the cases.
But it is also based on a shortened 243 Ackley Improved, so you could say that its similar to the 243 Ackley Improved, and you could also say that it is a 22-250 Ackley Improved with the necked expanded up to 6mm. The overall length of the cartridge is 1900in.

The 6XCVE is the name of a cartridge. I wanted to improve my 6BR but there was no one here in Brisbane Australia that could help me.
So I improved my heavy barrelled Winchester model 70 XTR in 22-250.
I looked on the net and found one called the 6X or 6mmX. The 6X was made by using a 243 reamer and only reaming out the chamber at the same length as a 22-250 Rem, then a fella named Bob Crone gave it a 30 deg shoulder and called it the 6XC the "C" being his surname initial.
So I went one further and got my gunsmith to use a 243 Ackley Improved reamer and ream the barrel out so that the chamber was the same length as a 22-250 but with the 40 deg shoulder and a 6mm neck.
I added the last two initials of my name onto the original calibre and it makes up the 6XCVE. The initials of my name are C.V.E.
The picture on my profile is a comparison of the .223, 22-250 6XCVE and 308 Win rounds.

I was pleased with the initial results of my reloads.

Hope this helps.

Listen careefully to me........., Never, never let your gun Pointed be at anyone, That it may unloaded be Matters not the least to me. When a hedge of fence you cross Though of time it cause a loss From your gun the cartridge take For the greater safety sake. If between you and a neighbour's gun Bird shall fly or beast may run Let this rule be thine "Follow not accross the line." Stops and beaters often unseen Lurk behind some Leafy screen. Calm and steady always be "Never shoot where you can't see."

Posts: 42 | Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CVE

I hate to bad-mouth a fellow shooter and wildcatter but I also hate to see history re-written to the extent that your last post has done.

For the record, your 6XCVE is identical to several wildcat cartridges that have been used, and are still being used, in long range competition here in the States for several years. As far as I know no one here pretends to take credit for having "invented" the cartridge. Most of us were working on the idea independantly and it was only when the various versions started showing up in competition that we realized how identical they were. I first chambered a barrel for my own version in the late 1990s and am now on my 3rd barrel. My design uses the 244 Ackley reamer run in .330" short.

The original 6X (or 6MM X) was the design of NRA Hi-Power Champion David Tubb and was, as you say, simply the 243 reamer (20 degree shoulder) run in .132" short in order to use 22-250 brass. The 6XC was the natural progression of the 6X using a 30 degree shoulder. Thousands, if not millions, of 6XC cases have been manufactured and sold by David through his company. Bob Crone had nothing to do with the development or naming of the 6XC. He will be the first one to tell you that. Bob's case is the 6mm BR with the shoulder moved forward and is called the 6BRX. The XC in 6XC stands for "across the course", by the way, since that was the intended use of the cartridge.

If you will go to the 6BR web site and forums you will find this and all kinds of other info on these mid-sized 6mm long range cartridges.

And I don't mean to imply that these cartridges are the exclusive development of U.S.A. shooters. I'm sure you will find similar, if not identical, developments all across the world.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6XCVE
posted Hide Post
Hi Cheechako,
Thanks for the correction. I would'nt call it bad mouthing just that you know more and you were correct, I checked the article again. So my appologies to David Tubb and Bob Crone. I suppose it was a bit of not enough of the correct information, Not knowing about the wildcats of this type in the US, and a bit of my own excitement about my first wildcat.

If im not the first, then what is this calibre officially called and I dont mean the 6xc with the 30 degree shoulder bumped out to a 40 degree shoulder. Would it be 6mm-250 Ackley Improved (dont like calling it that as a 243 AI reamer was used to cut the chamber). Mine was a natural progression from the David Tubb 6xc and no one here knew what it was called so I named it myself and called it the 6XCVE, its easier to say that then go through the long explination of how it got named. And when at the Gun Smiths they didnt know what the correct or official name was for the wildcat, as it is required by law for the gunsmith to submit forms on behalf of the registered owner of the rifle for the change of caliber to the Firearms Licencing Branch. The gunsmith asked me what calibre it was I told him 6XCVE and he wrote that on the application forms.
You are correct in saying that these cartridges are not the exclusive development of U.S.A. shooters, but it was on the US web sites that I found the cartridge that I wanted to base my first wild cat on. Am I pleased with the results you bet. A range officer where I shoot told me that he has had one for the last 20 or so years, if you ask him what it is called he answers I dont know and who gives a stuff anyway(cranky old bugger).

Cheechako what is your 244 wildcat called or do you just call it a 244 wildcat. And what cases do you base or use for a parent cartridge for fire forming.

Anyway I thank you for your advice and come away from this chat better informed.

Thanks,
C.V.E.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CVE

I don't believe there is any sort of "official" name for the 40 degree version, or for any other for that matter. each wildcatter named his own as he saw fit. I guess the laws there are a little different because as far as I know no one is required to have official or registered name for the necessary gunsmith paperwok. I do my own work so I don't know what a gunsmith would put on a form except whatever the owner may tell him. The same goes for reamers. The reamer maker will mark the reamer with whatever moniker you tell him.

When it comes to naming their wildcats some shooters can be whimsical and others serious. I have seen some weird names applied to the various mid-sized 6mm wildcats. I call mine the 240 Orphan. My first try at it used the old Remington BR Basic Brass (mother) and it was based on the 6x250 Improved (father). Both the brass and the 6x250 were dead (at the time) therefore "Orphan". Most everyone nowadys uses Lapua 243W brass or the best 22-250 brass they can find.

With the new 6x47 swiss Match and 6.5x47 Lapua brass coming out, I wonder how long all of these wildcats will last. I know I am tired of all the work in making brass and shooting stuff right out of the box is sure appealing.

I have seen guys almost come to blows when comparing cartridges only to find out they were virtually identical but one guy insisted it was his original idea.

Anyway, I like 6XCVE. It has hint of something fast and sleek. i wouldn't change it if I were you.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote