New
Find
Notify
Tools

More questions about a 416 ruger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know this has got a lot of talk started but I'm going to ask anyway.
First I don't know nothing about reloading so if anybody is kind enough to reply to my questions talk to me as you would a child.
I'm very eager to learn reloading but I don't know what quality tools I need or how to use them.
Here is my mission and it's simple I think.
All I want to do is neck up a 375 Ruger case to 416. Thats it.
Can some of the experts here tell what I need to do to achieve this? Where to get tools and which one's are high quality (I don't like junk)
Thanks for your help
Steve

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Reloading is a very percise series of small and uncomplex activities, requiring that one pay attention in order to not harm themselves or others

i STRONGLY suggest you start relaoding (or handloading) with something mild, like a 30-06 that has a great deal of load data behind it before start on the wildcatters road....

learn to reload first, or you will pay through the NOSE for lessons on primers and pressures

take an NRA class, get a video, do something, but don't start with a wildcat

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39673 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will get some more learning info.

I have called Horeday 3 times (you can get three different anaswers) and they said there are no plans for a 416 Ruger but they are working on a 338 and 30 caliber cartridges. Thats why I'm looking into doing one myself.

Posts: 344 | Location: Elkin North Carolina USA | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will get some more learning info

I agree with Jeff on this one. He has several wildcats he develope so do I. But after about 15+ years of reloading. With no real loading data you are really opening yourself up for problems.

The 416 Taylor gives up very little in the real world to a 416 Ruger. Or Jeff's 416AR has a larger capacity and several are loading for it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was going to use 416 Taylor loading data to start with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is a good book and or video to start with?

Thanks everybody for your help!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee Modern Reloading.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your spot on with the .416 Ruger and it will certainly become a factory round in time..I can't think of a more useful wildcat, easy to load, works on a standard action, equals the Rigby and the Remington, whats not to like about it...

I have a .416 Ruger as we speak, and I am about finished stocking it in a really nice piece of Russian Circasian walnut from Bill Dowtin, Its inletted and the outside is shaped, putting the recoil pad on, the grip cap and swivels, finish and checkering...It has a timney trigger, NECG front ramp and 3/32 ivory bead, Talley Peep on talley bases and scope rings. Probably put my 1x4 Leupold on it..

It fed and shot very well indeed in an old stock, so I am going with all the bells and whistles I can get on it.

It will out perform the .416 Rem by a tad, and that leaves the 416 Taylor in the dust..

The 375 Ruger parent case is what the oponents of the belt (the belt bashers) have been screaming for for ions, now they got it...

When done I will probably sell it and build a .404 Ruger, why not!!! clap

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42165 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took the plunge into reloading with a wildcat, the 450/110. Case forming was a cinch, one pass of the 50/110 case through the sizing die and its done.

Read the Lee book from cover to cover.

Get a good understanding of the various available powders, their properties and burn rates.

The powders used in the Taylor or Rem Mag should be a good starting point. Find a safe Taylor or Rem Mag starting load and work up slowly. Quickload can also help you find a safe starting point.

*****Pay close attention to the shoulder location and angle of newly formed cases as that is the critical dimension for headspace.

A major advantage of belted cases is that you can neck up or down without worrying about the case shoulder as the cartridge headspaces on the belt.

The best practice with non belted cases is to slowly adjust sizing die to push the shoulder back until you can just barely close the bolt on a sized case.

Also pay close attention to case length, the case may stretch upon the first fireing.
Overlength cases can lead to overpressure.

Take careful measurements of the case web before and after fireing and refer to the applicable section in the Lee Book. Also observe the primers for pressure signs.

Finally, remember that IF YOU ARE EXCEEDING THE VELOCITY ATTAINED BY CARTRIDGES OF SIMILAR CASE CAPACITY FOR THAT CALIBER, YOU ARE PROBABLY PUSHING PRESURE PAST THE LIMITS (don't try to exceed the 416 Remington which has similar case capacity)

Good Luck,
Jeff Collins

The true measure of a hunters skill is not the size of the trophy but rather the length of the shot with the greater measure of skill being the shorter shot---Jeff Cooper

Posts: 399 | Location: Cass County, Texas | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With Quote