Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

44-08 A new wildcat ??
 Login/Join

posted
I´m working at a Mauser 96 action, with a new barrel and i´m trimmed down a 308 case to 40 mm and use a 44 mag bullet.

The initial performance is 1900 FPS @ 200 grains FMJ bullet.

Somebody alredy work with this kind of wildcat ?

Best Regards from Brazil,

Químico2

One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Many many years ago. It was called the 429 DRD Express, but utilized a 30'06 case to maximize length on the 7X57 sized Steyr Mauser 98 action. The slugs were the 265 grain Remington from the 44 Mag carbine load and the 444 Marlin. I do not have the load data any longer. I know we were over 1850 fps. In my opinion it ended up as a watse of material.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
which one of the big auto pistols used a cut down 30-06? i think it was the 44 automag

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39680 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "44-08" is nothing new, I've seen 2 or 3 variants over the years. As far as the 44 Auto Mag goes, the 308 was the parent case. I spose the '06 could be used also.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
I think this is the whole point behind the 450 marlin along with being a higher pressure 45-70.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a 'smith in the States building 44/08 and 44/06's I believe ... both headspacing off the case mouth. Ken Howell also had his time with the straight 30/06. 44/06 is basically a 444Marlin.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 444Marlin is itself little more than a 44-06 with a semi-rimmed case.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that it was called the .401 Winchester!

As regards you other matter, yes, .44 AutoMag. I was working on a conversion of the 7.62mm Indian Ishapore Enfield SMLE to that calibre at one time. Gave up as making the cases was going to be too much of an effort!

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FOOBAR
posted Hide Post
I think a 444 Express would be enjoyable to work with...a "stretched" 444 M...2.5" case length. In todays world we have so many choices of calibers, cases and actions to use it is sometimes a Catch 22 which way to go, and all the niches are already filled with excellent factory examples covering the caliber spectrum.

Enfieldspares...I have an Isapore action I started to convert to 375 JDJ...acquired the brass, dies, already had bullets, but haven't completed it yet...a 9.3x62 got in the way. Now I'm thinking of just going with a 338 Federal and calling it good...much simpler to do, just a barrel change. The SMLE magazine length limits the usefull caliber choice and COAL anyway and I don't need any more large caliber shooters anyway.

333_OKH I disagree somewhat with your thoughts on wasted effort. Nothing having to do with wildcatting or its results is wasted...the information gained is always of more value in the long run as the information base is increased. The results may not be what you originally intended or wanted but without the knowledge base you gained you can't progress. Wink Roll Eyes dancing

'Njoy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah! The "secret" is that having rear lugs you can bring the barrel BACK into your action (like a .22 No8) so that you can cut back from the front of and use a shorter bolt and shorter round but still seat the rounds at the rear of the magazine.

That Ishapore magazine works great with "modern" parallel cases parented on the 8mm Mauser derivatives such as .308 etc. My project with the .44 AutoMag was to get something a lot "handier" than a lever action .44 S & W Magnum AND of course pointed bullets.

I think that we worked it out by resting the assmebled round on the rear lug and then cutting off the front of the bolt where the bullet on the assembled round reached to. Then, of course, rethreading again to accept the bolt head.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote