Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22K-hornet opinions
 Login/Join

posted
Just wondering if anyone out there has been using a 22K-hornet? I had one for just a short time before someone took it off my hands without asking. I had fireformed about 300 cases but had yet to start test reloading with it. Im shooting a CZ 527 in the 22 Hornet right now and just wanted some input from those who shoot the 22K and what they like about it over the standard.

Short range

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SR,

I have a NEF with a 6x Simmons that I ran a K reamer into a couple years ago and I'm not really sure I can tell a big difference. This is a "kick around" gun, so I'm not really trying to get the last little bit out of it. I'm loading 13.5 Gr of Lil gun with the Speer 33 gr TNT HP and they work well on fox and crows. I get about 1.5" - 2" groups at 100 yds which isn't bad for a cheap gun. I have sorta moved to the .17 HMR in a Remingotn 597M for in close and personal stuff. I have gotten several doubles on crows and one triple out of a field....I don't think can get 4 before they fly...but I'll try!!

I have not chronyed the load, but I'm pretty sure it is faster than the regular Hornet. I switched to the Speer 33 grs about the time I turned it into a K, so it is difficult to say it is better than the standard Hornet. I guess I'm not convinced that the K makes enough difference to make it worthwhile, at least for my application. If I need more range, I use the .223 or .204 or a .22-250. Actually, since I got the .204, that is all I have been using....that's a GREAT round!! I do carry the K in my truck for out and away requirements....it does everything I ask of it!!

Good luck with your CZ and if it were me, I'd leave it a regular Hornet.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shortrange ,
The K Hornet is good for at least 100FPS extra , is much less prone to case stretching and is reportedly more accurate than the standard Hornet .More of a good thing .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the k hornet came about for 2 reasons. 1st was to increase velocity and 2nd to increase accuracy. For years the standard hornet has been known to throw flyers. the K doesn't do this. Increase in velocity I have found in the 200 FPS class. At the moment I think I have 3 k hornets, and all shoot well. In fact, with the exception of a mangum BFR in hornet, I'e rechamber all mine to K;s My standard load used to be 12.5 hr of H-4227 and a 40 gr bullet. Now I use 14.5 gr of lil gun. On my chrono the h4227 load was 2840 and the lil gun was 3400. rechambering is easy and firforming cases usually hit to about the same close range impact

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
The K-Hornet turned out to be the easiest reloading project for me. Once my CZ Hornet was reamed to K, the accuracy was simply outstanding. 12.5 - 13gr of lil gun yields 3000fps and well under minute of angle.

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ american 527 hornet and i get 3000 fps with a 40 grn hornady vmax and 13.2 grns of lil gun cci br primers shot over a ced millenium chronograph and get about 1/4 to 3/8 inch groups at a hundred yards I also shoot 45 sierra hornets at 2200 using rel 7 10.6 grns and this load shoots around a half inch.If you want something hotter get a 221 fireball

Posts: 94 | Location: Orwell,New York | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Sell the hornet and get a CZ527 in .221 Fireball. Much better brass and you can form it from 222 Rem if needed.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!