New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Jeffery Brass?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So, I'm looking at all the sources for a parent case for my .358 wildcat. Anybody know who's got the best brass in the biz/
And how about the second best?
Any real-life exp with BELL brass?
This is regarding 404J, 404Basic, 416 Dakota, any of those.

Thanks for any info. [Big Grin]
T

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
If you can buy an old supply of RWS brass that is by far the best. The quit making it about 3 years ago. The only good one available now is Norma.

The Mast (Bell) brass is pure junk as is most of their brass. They also make the Dakota and Lazzeroni brass. Bertram is also available and is even worse than Bell if that is possible.

I've used all of these for forming Jamison cases.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a wildcat 35/404 imp.which we built in the early 80's.I have both RWS and BELL brass and have had no trouble with either.We ordered 1000 RWS brass a few years ago but only recieved 240 as it was apparantly out of production so I got 200 BELL. None of these has been fired more than 3 times though.Mark

Posts: 109 | Location: Sask.Ca | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What problems have you had with Bell brass?

Posts: 198 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
You name it. Walls vary significantly, from as thin a .007" to as thick as .030" all in the same case, great variance in weight and therefore internal capacity, in spite of annealing at various stages, neck splits seldom allowing as many as 5 reloads, inconsistent flash holes, etc., etc. Not quite as bad for the Lazzeroni stuff, but almost. In the latter I've had brass in one box that varied from the heaviest at about 322g to the lightest at about 273g. However, no neck splits with them.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Well

I had some of the RWs brass and it was very different between the lots, some was fantastic while other were soft crap.

I would say that you got two options at this very moment that are worth thinking about.

1, Norma brass. very good cases compared to manny other makers. Easy to find, if you live in Sweden. I'm not sure how it's in USA [Razz] [Smile]

2, Horneber brass, not cheap, nice quality and you can get custom stamped cases. You might have to wait for some time to get them.

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Bell brass for years and I never had any problems, they have upgraded it recently I better make that clear and it is better than before....I use it for double rifles and big bores....I get up to 10 loadings in my 404 with Mast Tech brass (Bell)..

I see some nitpicking on Bell by one who is caught up in technology of quality and trying to compare, weigh, disect, brass with WW or Lapua and that won't work.... Those companies don't make 404, 505, 500, 450, 475 brass and all that he states probably won/t make one bit of difference on a 50 yard Cape Buffalo, or a Lion in the bush. I think his analysis is better suited to benchrest or varmint shooting wherein the weighing and micing of brass possible becomes an issue.

Horneber is the best big bore brass in the world today as is the new RWS. Norma is great brass and Lapua is the very best of brass but doesn't come in enough calibers.....Bertram is very poor indeed, thats a given to most, but it will work in 45-90, 45-110 and sharps calibers etc where pressures are low and Bertram in many cases is the only whore in town...

In many instances you have little choice but to choose a certain make of brass....

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Horneber is the best big bore brass in the world today as is the new RWS

Ray,
Does Horneber or the new RWS make .404 Jeff? If they do who would be a good supplier?

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

Two weeks ago I was in contact with RWS about 404 brass and they got no producion in scheduled and no brass on the shelf in 404. They had trouble selling the remaing stock and therefore decided to not made the caliber any more, unless there would be a greater demand. I know one gun dealer in Sweden who bought a large part of the RWS inventory [Razz]

Horneber is not cheap buy very good, it can take a while getting if it's not on the shelf, but well worth the wait... [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

<Rusty>
posted
The BELL brass I have gotten for my 404 Jeffery project as well ast the brass for my 450/400 from Mast Technology is awesome stuff. There are several members of the forum who use BELL and no problems! It is by far the best brass I have used!

Rusty
We band of brothers!

<redleg155>
posted
I use BELL (MAST) brass for for my 460 G&A and have had no problems whatsoever.

redleg

one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend has been trying to find the RWS and has run into the same roadblocks,...I think Norma will be your only choice for the high end brass.

[ 08-08-2003, 17:28: Message edited by: JustC ]

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote