Find
Notify
Tools

8 mm Steyr (8X60 Steyr)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted
I found a reference to a potential cartridge: an 8 mm on the .376 Steyr case, which is a 9.5X60 in metric terms. This from August '04 in this forum.

Now that the .325 WSM is out and about, is anyone building an 8 mm on the .376 Steyr?

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Get in contact with Doble Troble. I'm pretty sure that he and couple other guys have built them. You might drop him a PM. He posts in the Gunsmithing forum frequently as well.

The 8mm Steyr sounds like a pretty potent cartridge!

Good luck,

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Thanks for remembering, Jason! I made mine based on AI principles of blown-out case and sharp shoulder. I probably could have lengthened the case by shortening the neck too. It's nice because it fits in an intermediate Mauser action. It was a PITA to make, but I made all the reamers and dies. It takes me two forming dies plus the FL sizer to get it down to 8mm. I'm still working up loads. I'm at ~2800 fps with 185 gr Rem CL and I'm not sure if I'll get too much more. It's taught me a lot about making reamers and dies and also about how well designed the original 8 x 57 was. It's tough to significantly improve the original 8 mm Mauser, especially in an intermediate action.

DT

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
DT,

Thanks for responding, and also thanks for the photos!

What did it take to get the action to feed?

thanks...jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, it'll hold three down and feeds OK without modification. By feeding OK I mean that every now and then there's a hitch that makes you look at the action to see what's going on, but it always wind-up chambering. This level of feeding may be unacceptable to many. It's on my list to do something about - Jason who responded above has studied the issue more than I - I'll get to it eventually. I'm confident that this cartridge will feed slicker than snot like a Mauser should with minimal tweaking, but then again I haven't started tweaking yet.

DT

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I sent an email query to a contact in the S-M factory. Sometimes they even answer. Wink

jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will be very interested to see if anyone answers you from Steyr. They seem to be rather closed mouth these days.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i am in the process of having dave kiff build a reamer right know and have a mauser action douglass barrel and high tech stock waiting to go together. i have done 4 376 steyr on mauser action, little bit of metal off forward part of rails and they feed slick. i am going to do a 338 and 358 also in the coming months. am hoping for 2900fps with a 200 bullet, more case capacity than a 06 improved case, will let you know in a month or so..........