New
Find
Notify
Tools

My X-mas present to me. [bigger pic]
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Some of you may remember my 358-404 project I started rambling about last July or so.

Well, John Ricks just sent me the following photo of the 404, my 9x72mm Bwana-be, and a 358 STA. I can't load the original pic for some reason, maybe too big, but those with a magnifing glass can get an idea. [I'll come back with a bigger pic when I figure this out]

Talk about minimal taper! Shoulder is .530" at about 2.40", 35* shoulder, and IIRC final neck length was something like .33" or so. Throated for 280g A-Frame for an easy 2800-2850 fps from 26".

[Bigger pic is not gonna happen. Looks like attachments are not allowed?

Anyway, here's a link:

http://www.thehunterslife.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4265&stc=1

Pillar and glass bedded, scope mount holes opened, action trued, Pac-nor #4 bbl.

Still has to be blued and test-fired (hopefully some Ohler data coming - one of many added pluses with John), cases on their way to CH4D.

John is also modifying my Forster case lather to turn the necks, as the chamber is "semi-tight."

This will be my medium-long range (>400yd if I can shoot it well) for elk and such.

Wildcat #1, almost done!

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Would U like to see what one looks like already fired?????? ROGER

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is the bigger photo:

Left, a 404 Jeffery round. Then a Norma 404 case. Next is the 404 case necked to 358, and neck turned, with a bullet seated. Then a fire formed case. Last is a 358 Shooting Times Alaskan.

This 358/404 has the shoulder moved forward to a maximum and a neck length of one caliber. Has more capacity than a 375 Ultra necked down, I am not sure how it compares with the 358 Imperial.

Yea, most can say it has been done before, this is just about true with all wildcats. But the process is fun!

So, why not just use Ultra brass? The rifle owner desired to use Norma 404 Jeffery brass for the larger rim diameter.

I will take some water capacity measurements of the fireformed cases and do some comparisons. We are thinking of installing a strain gauge on the barrel and running some M43 tests next week for pressures & velocities.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
John, I was just teasing Bwana -be as I know he's getting antsy with anticipation. There wasn't a twit of seriousness in what I posted.I've been following his postings for a couple months at least about his 358X404.

The difference in what you're building and the one I designed and built is about .040" in neck length, mine being a little longer to better accomodate 300 gr. RNs. At least that's my thinking anyway.
Bwana's rifle ,I'm sure, will be a fine crafted piece of work. My sporterized 98 single shot is wareing the same wood it has had for 75 years or more. Oh, It's been whittled , comoed, fitted and has a hand painted animal or two on it, but it is the original stock. It has an Adams Bennet bargin basement barrel and a special purchase Simmons 4X scope that replaced the Bushnell when it's cross hair came apart and then diappeared. I whish both of you a Merrey Christmas and long packages under the tree. Ho Ho Ho roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger, I knowed you wuz just ribbin'.
Here's the deal. As John said, there's a few ways to get this bulelt to go this fast, etc., and some are cheaper than others. But none of them was going to cost me significantly less than my own design. This wildcat is less about coming up with something original as making a heavy .358 go the right speed, with the right amount of powder, with the right rim diameter, and brass make, etc., etc. "I did it myyyyyyy wayyyyy...."
John, the more I think about having some pressure data on this little spitball, the more I like the idea.
If you're able, I'm definitely willing.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bart, I have sowed my share of funnings!

Anyway, I think I should take a photo of the loading block full of the rounds before fire forming. The double shoulder I am sure could be passed off as some type of "Double Inverse Hyper Venturi" for producing "Counterflowing Centripetal Forces" during the combustion process, boosting velocities some 73.2 percent. Should be just the ticket for giving an inverse trajectory to the target, where the bullet rises instead of falls, putting the old "GryoJet" cartridges to shame.

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you think it's funny, but actually that bulge in the middle of the shoulder is for trapping the turbulence to decrease thraot erosion. And actually, the inverse jet can even restore the bore by promoting pre-exit cooling.
Recommended to fire a formed case about every twenty rounds.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Right, now I can engrave on the barrel, below the caliber designation:

"TurboCharged and InterCooled"

Sells cars, should sell rifles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just make sure it's below the stockline, wouldja?