Find
Notify
Tools

243 down to 22 wildcat
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Croberts
posted
Is the 22 chetah a .243 case necked down to shoot a .224 bullet?

A man should never stop learning, so a man should never stop asking questions

Posts: 164 | Location: Abingdon Va. | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
22-243 middlestead as well

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38485 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Croberts
posted Hide Post
I am kind of new to the wildcat scene, what is normal bullet weights of the 22 chetah and the velocity that can usually be attained from them?
Thanks

A man should never stop learning, so a man should never stop asking questions

Posts: 164 | Location: Abingdon Va. | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
croberts

The CHeetah is actually the Rem Basic BR brass fireformed to a 40 degree shoulder and 22 caliber. The Rem brass is match quality and has a small primer pocket. It is different from the 22/243 in that the case is thin-walled so theoretically it has greater capacity. Actual results are very similar to the 22/243 however. Any of the 50 to 55 grain bullets will work well. Velocity is in the 4000 to 4300 fps area. By the way, CHeetah stands for Carmichel and Huntington, the designers.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There were also Mk I and Mk II versions of the CHeetah, difference being parent brass, shoulder angle and case capacity, if memory serves. Personally I shoot the 22-243 Middlestead, and I find it has all the velocity I would ever want from a 22. Bullet weight handling is more a function of barrel twist then case capacity, mine has the 1-14 std twist for a centerfire 22, and as such won't accurately shoot anything over 60 gr. Pushes those 55's out at some amazing speeds tho'. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried the Rem brass with small primers and found less than good ignition especially when cold. Went to std 243 brass and no more problems.4200 fps is attainable with 45 gr. and 4100 with 50's. I now have 2 of these and find them to be great coyote wreckers. Mark

A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which he proposes to pay off with your money. Gordon Liddy

Posts: 199 | Location: Sask, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Croberts:
Is the 22 chetah a .243 case necked down to shoot a .224 bullet?

ricciardelli shared this site
http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote