Find
Notify
Tools

.257 Fireball ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted
Just curious if anyone has done this. Seems to me it would be very near a .256 Winchester without the rim. My idea would be for use with cast bullets and 70-75 grain HPs. CZ 527 as test bed.

I know about the SSK Whisper series, but they don't make a 25 cal.

Gabe

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CH4D offers FL dies in .25/221,.25/221 IMP 30 degree shoulder,and .25/221 IMP 40 degree shoulder.

You would be able to load the case to higher pressures than the .256 Win. was loaded so you could expect a velocity increase over the .256 Win.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
papa -

It looks like using the 221 as the basis will buy you about 1 gr of capacity (22.1 for the 256 vs 22.0 for the 25-221 30deg), ie, don't expect a huge velocity improvement over the 256. Of note: of late we've been taking a fair amount of data for the 256, especially lead data - with the short neck we didn't expect it to be a lead shooter... were we ever wrong (live an learn!). With the speer 75gr fnc and vvn120 using a rebarreled marlin 1894 (using a 1894cl 20-25 barrel reamed to 256, hence a 1:16 twist), we're seeing .6-.7 moa 5 shot groups. Originally started taking the data just to have it... now we're getting to end and wish we had more to do ;-( for the lead data we're looking at 39 or 40 powders before we're done. So far the best has been vvn320 under a 77gr rnfp at .73" for 10 shots at 50yrds.

do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

Posts: 46 | Location: far northern california (where guns aren't evil) | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted Hide Post
Greg

Thanks for the comments about the cast bullets. Sounds good. As for velocity increase, that's not my goal. I just wanted a rimless .256 winchester. The Winchester would be a bear in terms of feeding in a bolt rifle, and the bolt face diameter is a problem. The fireball case should feed like butter from the 527's vertically stacked mag.

Wildcat

Thanks for the info from CH. I looked at Redding's site this weekend and found the version with the standard shoulder.

I haven't done any buisness with CH in over 20 years. Are they still relatively good quality?

Thanks

Gabe

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Isn't this the .25 Whisper?

Posts: 546 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted Hide Post
According to the SSK website they passed up the .25 cal version of the whisper series. They list both a 6mm and a 6.5 but no .25 .

They may have a reamer though. Tried it but never adopted it for commercial use? Worth a phone call I guess.

Gabe