New
Find
Notify
Tools

.25 TCU load data needed
 Login/Join

<Timberghost>
posted
I have a 24" .257 TCU barrel on a Contender carbine that I built for varmits. I have been using 29.0 grains of Accurate 2460 behind a 75gr V-max with great accuracy.
Last December I took my wife on her 1st deer hunt and she took a doe with it. I knew that the v-max wasn't the perfect bullet for the job, but this was a last minute thing and it worked. Needless to say, she is a deer hunter now, has adopted that gun (which I have replaced with several others), and wants to go again.
Does anyone know where I can get load data for a 100gr bullet in this .223 Rem based round? The .257 bullet selection improves greatly at 100 grains and I am going to use a partition, x-bullet, or a bonded core.
Any ideas on this round would be greatly appreciated. Larger rounds are out of the question because this is now my wifes gun and "she wants to use this one"!
Thanks, Ghost

one of us
posted Hide Post
My first suggestion would be to use 6 TCU or 6.5TCU load data and work up. If that is not an option call the boys at Sierra, I think the may have some unpublished data in their archives.
I would think if you crossed referenced the 6 and 6.5 would give you a good idea of what would work. One of the guys on the SSP board has a 257TCU, but he is in Iraq for the time being. With that being said, his barrel was a VVCG, so you might call the guys at Virgin Valley as well.
Jeff

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several 257TCU's..2 pistol barrels and a 21 inch carbine, The 100 grain bullets are the best in the carbine length tube and can be driven 2500-2600 in my barrel. I think it is the best of the TCU series of cartridges,
My barrel shoots several powders very well, including AA2495, AA2520, Imr 4895, and WW748. Tim (aka buckweet) on several boards has a 16.5 inch carbine and likes 4895 very well. My barrel shows a preferance for 748 and 100 NBT's. I have gone as high as 28 grains for a little over 2600 from my barrel but my best load is with 27 grains and it does well under one inch with that receipe at 2540 fps. It should be good deer medicine. Recoil and muzzle blast are light. I find 25 gr of AA2495 good as well and 24.5 gr of AA2520 also..both give 2500 in my barrel with the 100 gr bullets. The NBT is what I use for the longer ranges I would use that round at as I think the 100 Sierra and Nosler are a bit hard for long range work but may work well up close. The 87 gr remington is a good bullet as well and does well with 4198 and 2015 powders. it is a nice little cartridge that I like much.

shortgun

Posts: 147 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
<Timberghost>
posted
Shortgun,
Thanks for the loads! My barrel is 24" and should work well with one of these loads. The .257TCU is one of my favorite barrels as well and I have had 20+ different calibers over the years. I never had a need for a deer load in this one till now.
Thanks again, Ghost

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try this source for 25 TCU data.

http://stevespages.com/257_25.html

Best of luck 7-30 Waters

Posts: 179 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 26 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shortgun -

Have you ever tried AA2230? I ask because the 100 gr .257 at 2600 fps should have a similar pressue curve to a 223 55 grainer at 3440 fps, a pretty common velocity with 2230 in an Encore 24 inch bbl.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
<Timberghost>
posted
7-30 Waters,
I forgot about that website. I've used it before in the .375 & .458 calibers. It's a good source. I have cross-referenced it to several reloading books and it seems safe.
Thanks again to all for the help, Ghost

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sabot

I use lots of 2230c in the short barrel 257tcu with the lighter weight bullets. I shoots well but the speeds are slower than some other powders. I like the powder well enough to keep at least 2 kegs of it around at all times. I shoots well in several calibers I have. I have not tried it yet in the carbine barrel. I have not been out shooting for a spell as I was recently diagnosed with cancer and I am spending all my time and money in that area. When good health allows I will try a few more powders in the tcu.

shortgun

Posts: 147 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote