Find
Notify
Tools

"Universal" dies
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
Just a comment to younger Wildcat Tamers...

When you are prowling gun shows, estate sales, garage sales, etc., one of the treasures you might want to keep your eyes open for is the old Herter's Universal Die.

They are caliber specific, but NOT case specific.

That is, a Herter's 6.5 Universal Die can be used for neck-sizing and bullet seating for any 6.5 rifle cartridge up to about 4" case length. Likewise, a .30 Universal Die will do the same for any .30 rifle cartridge.

With the prices of today's custom dies for wildcat cartridges, the ability to load them with the Herter's Universal Die is a fantastic bargain. The Herter's die sold new for about $6 or less, depending on age. I still find them at gun shows occasionally for about $10-$12.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great info. thanks!
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 707 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Hornady makes such a die too.

IIRC they are current production too.

I have a .30 cal Universal Neck Die in my arsenal.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These "universal" dies will neck down a longer .30-cal to a shorter one? Am I reading that right? Will it take a 300RUM to .30-06 length?

I went to the Hornady site. Couldn't find the Universal Neck Die. Anybody got a part number?

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bought this one from Graf's........
https://www.hornady.com/shop/?...2426874308076b4724fa

p/n #046045

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got butch's formin' dies this morning. No need for the Hornady item, now...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote