New
Find
Notify
Tools

.250 A.I. bullet too long?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am planning to put together a .250 Savage Improved on a Zastava Mini Mauser action with a magazine length of 2.37". The case length is 1.91". Neck length is ~0.275". The bullet of choice is the Barnes-X (or XLC) 100gr. boatail with an OAL of 1.09". The math says this bullet will extend into the case about ~0.355". Is this too much?
Thanks!

Posts: 131 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Waterfowler:
I am planning to put together a .250 Savage Improved on a Zastava Mini Mauser action with a magazine length of 2.37". The case length is 1.91". Neck length is ~0.275". The bullet of choice is the Barnes-X (or XLC) 100gr. boatail with an OAL of 1.09". The math says this bullet will extend into the case about ~0.355". Is this too much?
Thanks!

Are the actions available again?

I'd bee thinking of one of these in a 250-3000. Keep in mind that the bolt is only about 0.500 diameter. I also thought about holding reamer back 0.150 or so in order to fit the magazine.

Now think I'll just chamber for a 25PPC and call it good.

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wally

Wally,
Not available yet, but congress should pass the legislation to import them real soon. Hopefully be able to get one this fall. The action is available with a bolt face large enough and is chambered in Europe for .22-250. I considered just short-chambering it and cutting the brass and dies down, and that is why I originally asked. I'm not sure it'd offer much benefit unless you shoot 117+ grainers. It seems to me that although the bullet will take up some case volume, it wouldn't be as much volume lost if the case were shorter to begin with. I think that as long as the bullet can be properly seated in the neck, the longest case possible would offer the best performance, even if some powder space is lost to bullet. Is this flawed thinking?
Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Waterfowler:
quote:
Wally

Wally,
Not available yet, but congress should pass the legislation to import them real soon. Hopefully be able to get one this fall. The action is available with a bolt face large enough and is chambered in Europe for .22-250. I considered just short-chambering it and cutting the brass and dies down, and that is why I originally asked. I'm not sure it'd offer much benefit unless you shoot 117+ grainers. It seems to me that although the bullet will take up some case volume, it wouldn't be as much volume lost if the case were shorter to begin with. I think that as long as the bullet can be properly seated in the neck, the longest case possible would offer the best performance, even if some powder space is lost to bullet. Is this flawed thinking?
Thanks!

Probably not. Anyone know?

The more I look at it the more "practical" using the PPC or BR case appears.

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The more I look at it the more "practical" using the PPC or BR case appears.
I have considered this. This site details the 6.5 PPC and they're getting 2750fps from a 128gr. bullet. Impressive for such a small case, but not quite what I was hoping for. I'd like to see what it could do with 100-115gr. bullets. It'd also be a pretty costly affair since the reamers and dies aren't off-the-shelf items like the 250AI kinda is. I am seriously considering the 25 Hunter slightly shorter (0.10") than the 250AI and I think even more blown out, offering at least the same perfomance with 100 grainers. But I would still have some length issues and the extra costs of a true wildcat. The author of the site is helping me thru the planning. Still looking for ideas though, so all input is welcome.