New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 1885 low wall
 Login/Join

Picture of halo68
posted
Hi, Need some help finding ammo or what caliber can i rechamber to. I have a Winchester model 1885 caliber .22WCF, That is what is stamped on the top of the barrel, trying to find ammo, but no luck It also a 8 power Fecker scope. Rifle was made in 1886.

Life MemberNRA
Life Member Purple Heart
NRA Instructor, all Phases

One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
old west scrounger

aguila makes it too

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedIf you have dies can't you use Hornet brass? beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Have you done a chamber cast?
With a Fecker mounted, wouldn't surprise me if it had been rechambered at some point.
We had one that was rechambered to 2R Lovell.

Posts: 3322 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of halo68
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, Idon't have dies yet can't find them, I tried a .22 Hornet round in it and it seems to fit. I was thinking of getting it rebarreled to a K-Hornet or .218 bee. Don't know if there is any value in the rifle.

Life MemberNRA
Life Member Purple Heart

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by halo68:
Thanks for the replies, Idon't have dies yet can't find them, I tried a .22 Hornet round in it and it seems to fit. I was thinking of getting it rebarreled to a K-Hornet or .218 bee. Don't know if there is any value in the rifle.

oldIf the hornet seemed to fit I don't see how it is chambered for a 22WCF. Confusedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.22WCF is .228

Posts: 185 | Location: Greenwich, CT | Registered: 14 December 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of halo68
posted Hide Post
Hi, Besides the last post about the bore size, A gunsmith told me the .22WCF was a Hornet case loaded with black powder and the bore size was .228. Thanks for all the help i'm getting.

Life MemberNRA
Life Member Purple Heart