New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 25 Souper
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
shoot an e-mail to Mark pinkston @ kailua customguns. I know the 25 souper is one of his favorites and could tell you all about it.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've often thought of the 25 souper as the next step for my 243 when I finally wear it out.I dont know why it isn't more popular, balistacally very similar to the 257roberts but easily able to fit in a 308 size action and seat the long bullets right out.Plenty of 243 brass to neck up and its only 14 thou to neck it up.
I would like to hear any responces from 25 souper owners out there.

Posts: 168 | Location: Kalgoorlie, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I call my version the 257DGR- major difference between it and the Souper is the 30* shoulder on the DGR versus the 20* on the Souper and the DGR has a longer neck which gives a little more flexability in being able to seat all bullet weights to "touch".
Either cartridge will serve you well- of course I am just a little biased as to the "best" choice. Duane

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear TSJ,
Had my "last"? 25 Souper Pirated by a friend in Wa [too deep pockets] and built another. The one that got away was a Rem 7 with a buggywhip barrel that loved the 100 Hornady Interlocks. The new one is a 600 action, 700 bold handle, M16 extractor with a kevlar stock, McGowan xx barrel and a 1-4 Leupold. So far it has shown a marked preference for the old Nosler 100 gr Solid Bases and 4350. Total weight[unloaded] is 5lbs 12 oz. Accuracy is less than an inch if I can do my part which is getting harder every year. Lack of a good shooting facility is a hinderance too. Shooting off the hood of a guys truck has it`s shortcomings. All in all a neat,\light little rifle. Looking forward to getting a lillte blood on it in the next few weeks. Seeing lots of Cougar around. Yummy!!
Aloha, Mark[in Or]

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a 25 Souper in a 16" competitor pistol and it's great 117 and 120 grain bullets at 27 to 2800 , 100's 3050 , I could tell you what the 75's and 87's are doing but you probably would not beleive it. Very easy to make this gun shoot it's one of those boring guns everything shoots 1/2" to 1" you just don't have to tinker with it.

Posts: 16 | Location: Western NY | Registered: 06 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Found Souper FL die in Alaska, Rem. barrel here in Idaho.
Will have it up and running for winter coyote calling(like I don't have enough guns to shoot ). Maybe even ready for a late whitetail hunt.

What got me started on the Souper was an old Speer wildcat manual that has the Souper in it. I like 25cal. rifles and I happened to pick up a med. length Sako that needed a barrel. The rest is history. Pedro

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pedro you old yote caller, how is life in your camp, good I hope!

I've been wanting to build a 25/08 for my wife for some time now. That is what the Souper is is it not?

I was gonna stop in at Duane's shop on the way thru a month ago but got behind and did not make the time. I travel that way about 3 times a year so I will get into his shop some time.

Just ramblin here, too bad we don't have more time for calling yotes, and more $1.99 gas to do it with....

C-Ya let me know how your project goes.

Dogz

"GET TO THE HILL"

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote