THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AIR RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Air Rifle    How much energy is sufficient? Joules/ft/lbs?

Moderators: big6x6
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much energy is sufficient? Joules/ft/lbs?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am about to replace my old WH 77 with a precharged gun.
What I don't like about the spring gun is; the noise, that fact that I can't get it to shoot consistently(scope issue).
What I do like about it is that it gives nearly 1000fps and around 42joules/ 31ft/lb. I have shot small game up to nutria(not so small) with it and never had problems with power being an issue. Accuracy sometimes, yes. Power no.

So just how fast/much energy is sufficient in an air rifle to make it fun to shoot without having to worry about too drop inside the 30 yards and power on things like larger birds and small mammals?
This gun will be used mostly for shooting rats (outdoor, longer ranges, up to 30m)

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Inside 30yards 12ft lbs kills everything very dead with head shots that you would shoot with an air rifle. 25 ft lbs in a 20cal is impressive indeed.