Find
Notify
Tools

Chicken Hunting
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Andy
posted
Here is a photo of a medium sized rooster (about 4 pounds)taken in my Kauai, Hawaii back yard.

Range about 30 yards. Heart shot. One shot kill.

RWS 34 177 caliber with 10.2 grain Kodiak pellet.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you clean it for the table?

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
No, but my dog did!

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should release a few bunnies in your garden too!

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trying to headshoot chickens can be challenging. Big Grin

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Ncboman, it sure can be tricky!!!

Ive "missed" 14 head shots so far since November and hit the darn things in the chest instead!

They are almost always side on while they are at a fast walk. they seldom stop unless to jump a fence. And then just breifly.

30-40 yards is typical range.

To its credit the 177 is fast enough, even w the heavy pellet, that lead and/or drop has not been an issue even at 40 yards.

I do usually have to run them down or shoot them again, which is why I am smiling! Smiler

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do chickens run wild in Hawaii?

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Do chickens run wild in Hawaii?

Doan matter where you are, the more you shoot, the wilder they run. hilbily

secret trick to head shooting, a low volume shrill whistle will usually get em to hold still for perhaps two or three seconds while they look up. Wink

Good huntin

one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Carpetman, yes the roosters run wild in Kauai. We dont have snakes or mongoose like neighbor islands so there are no natural enemies other than ferral cats that can get the chicks but seldom do. the hens are very protective. I leave the hens alone as they do eat centipedes and roaches and other bugs. But most folks hate the roosters. Even though they are beautiful they start crowing about 2:30 AM. It is real quiet around my house!

NCBOMAN,

Thanks very much for advice on the whistle. I will sure try it! got nothing to loose as they are very skittish.

Andy

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
secret trick to head shooting, a low volume shrill whistle will usually get em to hold still

A click of the tongue works well on Rabbits, but I find most birds are just GONE if you make a sound. You just need patience to wait for the right moment and good timing. Also enough accuracy to nail the heart or even better hit the brain. With an Airgun any shot that isn't spot on will result in a bit of a chase.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2:30am That rooster starts to crow. Perfect. He will keep his head reasonably still, now you can go for a headshot. No excuse if you miss this time. SAVE THE BREAST!

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Lal,

I really should save something. I will try the breast. They are VERY muscular, and I assume tough. But back in the plantation days, everyone trapped and ate them.

Problem with early morning or middle of the night is they are perched up in a mango tree limb and you cant get to them through the leaves and branches.

Is there such a thing as a belt fed pellet gun?

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried baiting them? Sprinkle seed from where they usually feed right upto the house and they should get within range.
Dont know. Ive seen a fully auto BB gun in a magazine once. That just might ruffle a few feathers!

one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Lal,

I am trying to get rid of them so do not bait them.

It would certainly work though, if you just wanted alot of targets!

the Java sparrows would knock the grain down from a bird feeder and the chickens would chase off everything else.

Andy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy, it sounds like you are having alot of fun with your airgun. I hunt with mine and so far it has killed numerous hare,springhare,doves and chickens too! My problem is that whenever I want to shoot some bloody pest in the early hours of the morning my bird dog hears the barrel being cocked and gets very excited, waking everybody else up in the house! I'm looking at getting a pneumatic for this reason only. Airguns are great fun, enjoy the Chicken Safaris!

one of us
posted Hide Post
that sounds like a ball!! all i have to shoot in my back yard is a steel bowling pin target and a cut off small propane tank.... i love the power of the rws 34..... what kind of penitration do you get on those rouge chickens?? the rws dents the hell out of a steel propne tank at about 30-40 yards and just shreads a regular chili can at farther than that.....

LIFE IS SHORT.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy---There are several issues here. First off--how can you possibly call it hunting? You are out there in bright red tee shirt and white shorts. Everyone knows to be hunting you need camo. Well ok blaze orange qualifies as hunting too. Certainly not red and white. Ok the hens eat roaches and centipedes, I bet the roosters do too. So your only complaint is their noise. You need to develop a crowless rooster. Might make you rich.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote