THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AIR RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Air Rifle    RWS Model 350 Magnum in 17 or 22?

Moderators: big6x6
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RWS Model 350 Magnum in 17 or 22?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
17 or 22 RWS Model 350 Magnum what is the better choice?
Thanks

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF this model came in 5mm(.20cal) to me the answer would be a no brainer. What is it's intended usage becomes a question? There is rumor that the .177 is more inherently accurate. I don't believe that is true. What I've read and believe is that because matches use the .177, manufactures have spent more time developing pellets etc for .177. I use mine mostly for pest control of sparrows and starlings and .177 does fine. If you intend to go for larger prey the .22 might be better suited. Either way, well placed shot is the key, so accuracy is the trump.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After comparing both, I went with the .22 in my 350 Magnum. Very accurate with either the Stoeger X-HUNT or X-MATCH pellets.

TreeFarmer
NRA Life Member

Moderation in the pursuit of decadence is no virture.

Posts: 262 | Location: PA & VA, USA | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just went through this same decision-making regarding the two calibers of pellet, although in my case the gun was a Diana 34. In the end I went with the .22 simply because I find the larger pellets much easier to handle and load. I do recall reading somewhere that the .177 should be theoretically more accurate, but IIRC that was based on a muzzle velocity of 600 or 700 fps. like the match-grade rifles produce. Once you get into the higher velocities of the powerful sporter guns, you are apparently out of the sweet spot for optimal accuracy. I wish I could remember where I read that...an old Beeman catalog, perhaps?

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot the RWS 350 mag in .177 today for the first time. Powerful gun speeds all well over 1000 fps. After shooting on 25 yd. range about 70 to 80 times it becomes a chore, stiff sping in this one. Hope it will be easyer to cock after 500 are so shots. Long gun at 48" feels very solid, o5 trigger well made. Lots of fun. Sights are ok but need to find a harty scope that can take the lash and hold up. After I find a scope move on to 50 yd. and maybe 100 yd. range. I later want to venture into the HW97 fixed barrel. Slippery slope.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote