Find
Notify
Tools

What scope to top this with?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
Just bought an RWS 350 Mag in 177 caliber. Now the dilemma, what scope?

I was looking at the 3x9 bug buster or the Bushnell banner 3.5x10mm etc. I want to keep it under 150 bucks. Any suggestions please? Thanx

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
POP---My answer may not make anymore sense to you than your question does to me. You have bought a Porsche so to speak and are looking for a VW engine in my books. I have had "cheaper" scopes and they wound up being expensive--Bushnell being the worst of my bad experiences. $15 service charge and postage sending them back and come back not fixed for example. These were not even used on a spring air gun either. I watched the Leupold compact 3x-9x with EFR (extended focus range)(focuses down to 10 meters which is needed on air gun) on EBAY for a long time and the cheapest I ever saw one go for was $275. Some $290. This was when they were selling new for $307. Not sure what they bring on EBAY now nor the price of a new one. Anyways that's $32, those selling for $275 were older and I'm sure some bought new cheaper than that. This scope being Leupold has their no hassle lifetime warranty. The scope has adjustable objective and is clear on down to air gun ranges and would be right at home on a magnum centerfire. Cheapest scope around in the long run. Not looking to buy it to sell--great you'll have it for a lifetime then. Also get the RWS adjustable scope mount.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
POP

Carpetman is correct. The RWS 350 Magnum is a stout, well made air rifle that will have hard "recoil" for the sope to contend with. I like carpetman's analogy but i prefer to think your wanting to put retreads on the Porche. They will fail you. So will a "cheaper" scope on the 350. The Leupold 3x9 EFR is also my recomendation. I went through 3 "cheap" scopes on my M54 before I bit the bullet and bought a leupold 6.5x20 EFR for it. The RWS top end air rifle scope rattled apart in no time. Had it fixed and it didn't last any longer the second time. Had a bushnell do the sam thing along with a Simmons top end 6.5x20X. The Leupold has held up for the last 6 years. Get the leupold 3x9 EFR, that's exactly what i would get for the very nice but powerful 350 magnum.

BTW; get very good solid mounts for it also.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
POP--After I made my first post, couple of thoughts hit me. Leupold makes a couple of compact 3x-9x scopes---only one has the EFR. When I was in your situation---looking for a scope--I thought maybe the 2x-7x on lower power would be clear and would work--not so. Things were blurry. Then after I bit the bullet and got the right scope--it wouldn't zero--not enough adjustment in the scope. The RWS bases are not removable so shimming the base not an option. I tried shims in the rings--bad idea--very bad. I called the airsmith at the RWS warranty center and he told me (didnt ask)where my gun was impacting. He was correct. Solution---get the RWS adjustable mount. Problem solved--happy camper. If spending that much for scope and mount is something you are not willing to do, I'd go with a peep sight. I find my peep sight on my Sheridan Blue Streak to give me comparable accuracy to my RWS with scope. I shoot a lot of sparrows and starlings as I have purple martins and their housing draws in the undesirable birds. My Sheridan stays by the back door and is my go to gun more so than my RWS.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
I got the efr 3x9 leupy

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
pop---good on you---bet you love it. Post and let us know. My answer probably sounded sarcastic,but it wasnt intended that way and I'll bet you'll be highly pleased you followed the advice.

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Thanks...I will!