THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AIR RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Air Rifle    Design for indoor air gun pellet trap?

Moderators: big6x6
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Design for indoor air gun pellet trap?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am working with a sporting goods store owner to design some pellet traps/stops for his existing 25 yd. indoor archery range. Currently, the range has laminated poly sheet bales to stop arrows. I know these are more than adequate to stop pellets and BB's. Do I need anything else? Can we just staple targets to the bales and be "good-to-go"? Should I have some metal traps fabricated? Whatever is done needs to be easily convertible back to archery. Thanks for your help in advance.

Bob

Posts: 3682 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bob, Once you introduce "Lead"(aka Pellets) into the store "air", I believe that triggers some kind of EPA Regulatory fiasco. Stuff like Air Flow concerns and handing of the spent Lead.

But, that could be Full-of-Beans. I'd suggest you go to one of the nearby Indoor Ranges and talk to the guy that owns it to see what they had to go through. Just because the Lead is small, the Regulations on Airborne Lead Particulate would still apply. NOTHING would make the EPA happier than to be able to shut-down a Range.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The first question is velocity. For 500-650 fps and a range of 33 ft you can use 16 gauge steel backed by 3/8 plywood. Use 1x4 frame to mount cardboard for the targets to hang.
the pellets will hit the steel, flatten, and fall straight down and be retained in the frame until you empty it. This is for lead pellets.

BB's need cardboard boxes stuffed loosely with newspapers.

There are no EPA concerns with air rifles. The airborne lead that is the issue for indoor ranges comes from the primers of powder burning firearms.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1597 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote