THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AIR RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Air Rifle    How quiet are the NPSS pellet rifles?

Moderators: big6x6
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How quiet are the NPSS pellet rifles?
 Login/Join

posted
I am intriigued by the idea of a quiet air rifle. My RWS 48 .177 sounds like a .17HMR and is not subtle enough for discreet pest control.

Does anyone have experience with either the Crosman or Remington NPSS?

Thanks,
George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Remington.

I don't know how quite it is "down range" but it's most certainly less noise when I'm shooting it. Also a neighbor used to always come look out the window when I shot my older 177 Crosman Quest 1000x in the back yard, but not with the NPSS in 22.

Hope this is a help, sorry I have no way to put a number on it though.

You might give Pyramyd Air a call and ask them if there's a spec on noise from the NPSS guns versus your gun?

Note: They are still "springers" though and accuracy is still effected buy how they are being held when fired.

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Note: They are still "springers" though and accuracy is still effected buy how they are being held when fired.

Please explain.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
springers have recoil, although obviously much less than powder burners. they shoot best with what is called an artillery hold. basically you hold the gun very lightly and let it move where it wants to go. the secret is holding it the same way EVERY TIME. there is a more detailed description of the artillery hold on the Pyramyd Air website and probably elsewhere., concerning the nitro piston guns, i found the Crossman( and the Remington is the same internally) to be maybe 1/3 less noise than my RWS 36.if you want REAL sound reduction, plan on moving up to a PCP(and with a silencer added to an already shrouded barrel, you are talking mouse fart noise levels at power setting comparable to a magnum springer). if you crank up the power settings on a PCP to maybe 100% above a magnum springer, you still have MUCH less noise than a .22 short

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is an art to shoot a springer accurately. I agree with the above post but will add that as soon as the bead is on target you should squeeze the trigger. Dont wait too long or try to aim too hard if that makes sense. I love springers and can hit anything I aim at with my old BSA Meteor.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How quiet are the NPSS pellet rifles? They are so quiet you could hear a rat pissing on cotton. Really I don't know but like that description.

Posts: 3807 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
THE ONE I HAD WAS SLIGHTLY MORE THAN A MOUSE FART-JUST KIDDING. louder than most PCP's of equal power.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
So then, the consensus is that a PCP is quieter and a better choice for discreet pest control?

George

one of us
posted Hide Post
if quiet firepower for pest's is the goal...

use the 20 gr Agulia 22 primer only load.

Nobody will believe the shots I have pulled off with this little round. Practice a little and figuring out holdover is simple.
Use good judgement and making safe shots is easy.
great for crows, rats, mice, starlings...and others.

The sound level in a full length bolt 22RF is a tiny little puff. The firing pin strike is louder. I will tell you that fired from a short barrel 22 pistol in an apartment(had a rat problem) is startling loud.

Posts: 484 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote