New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which one should I get
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to buy a nice 177 pellet gun, what would you guys pick out of Cabela's. Might buy a nice scope for it to?? I have some Cabela's visa money and some gift cards. Don't trust Cabela's reviews want yours, what can you tell me. Thanks

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
TJB,

It depends on what your budget is. If it were me, from the website offerings I'd probably get a RWS 34 as I have a similar RWS 45 and like it. There is the saying that goes when you buy quality you only cry once, and that is true in many cases.

However, it is twice the price of similar guns and I'm sure it is not twice as good as some of them.

You can also read reviews here:

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/top-20.shtml

They seem to like the Gamo big cat 1200 whch is half the price of the RWS, but I think the best thing might be to not worry about what other people say and just go there and pick what you like. Do they have a range you can try them out at?

One last opinion of mine, is that I have found when a scope is included with a gun it is usually inferior, so I'd prefer to ge a gun without a scope and pick a scope out myself if I want one, preferably a fixed 4 power.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes, have a range live out in the country and I just want a good shooting gun. Don't know much about air guns, just killed a lot of birds when I was youg with a ceap one. I realy don't want to spend more then $500 for everything. I just would hate to spend that and it not shoot good. So give me your ideas!! Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suffered through trying to find a cheap scope. I don't think such an animal exists. I'd say forget a scope or be prepared to spend about $400--maybe at that price you can get scope an mount--it will require an adjustable mount. Other option is a receiver (peep) sight. They seem to work real well and are considerably cheaper. My Sheridan Blue Streak with peep sight is well within your budget and serves me well. Going over budget I'd get an RWS and a Leupold 3x-9x compact scope with EFR. My RWS is a model 52 and it is a heavy dude. I think the mentioned model 34 is much lighter.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mark, go to the Pyramid web site and read the reviews. I am considering purcahsing an Air Arms Pro Sport. It is a bit higher than your $ 500.00 range, but by $ 169.00. The Air Arms TX 2000 is also excellent. My purchase will be used when I choose not to use My Daystate Air Wolf. 22 cal. (pre-charged and very accurate). Buy a good scope!!!
Jim

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote