THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AIR RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Air Rifle    Poll - My favorite Pellet size is....

Moderators: big6x6
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll - My favorite Pellet size is....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I did a search on this and couldn't find anything but bits and pieces. It seems we all have a preference for a specific size Pellet. Some prefer a Flatter Trajectory, some more Power available at the Point-of-Impact, and some use all of them depending on what they intend to accomplish.

I doubt there will ever be a complete agreement which is fine with me. Any comments on your selection concerning "WHY?" it(or more) is your choice, is certainly welcome.

Question:
Which is your "favorite" Pellet size?

Choices:
1. .17 cal
2. .20 cal
3. .22 cal
4. .25 cal
5. Larger
6. More than one of the above.
7. None of the above.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have .177's and 22's and my old 5mm (.20)Sheridan and pellet size wise I like the 5mm best. Enough so that I'm considering a .204 Ruger even though I don't have a clue as to why I need one.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.177. If I need more power I will use my rimfire.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.20 is very good but harder to get good pellets all the time over here. And with the power restriction .177 is better. A .22 at 600fps is useless.
Crows have plenty of time to duck then laugh at you as they fly away.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I grew up using a Crosman 140 and 160. 22 caliber taught me that energy makes a big difference on live game. The 177's have never preformed for me like the 22's in the field.

Greg

Posts: 137 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tried some 3.8gr Lead Free Alloy(looks like Tin and $6.97/250 at Wal-Mart) Pellets in the Storm XT today. Crosman claims 1200fps with Light Weight Pellets, and it sounded like it made it easily.

It made a "Crack" similar to a regular High Velocity 22LR due to the Pellets going fast enough to break the Sound Barrier.

Accuracy? rotflmo Maybe 3" at 25yds, but they were F-A-S-T!!! Big Grin

As a side benefit thumbdown it took a few regular Pellets through the barrel to get it back to shooting like it normally does, after using these jokers.

EDIT IN: Forgot to mention they are called "SSP" Super Sonic Pellets.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe they could cause a heart attack with the sonic boom when they fly past the head of your target.

A guy over here has been working on lead free pellets for ages and hasn't come up with anything that works.
He did the "Prometheus" pellets, a plastic sabot with a copper core that were crap as well.
Some designs work OK ish in some guns, but nothing to compare to good lead pellets and at High Velocity you may as well use BBs.

Somebody better work this out, as lead will be banned before too long, it's already banned in Electronics in Europe, that is causing major problems for all sorts of stuff. Lead free solder is bloody useless for a lot of applications.

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
it is weird but lead free pellets in my RWS 36 .177 shoot to same POI with 1/2 inch groups at 25 yds as Crossman premiers but at 200 fps more velocity. haven't bothered to compute the energy level comparison though. nice that i don't have to adjust my scope when switching pellets. in theory this shouldn't happen but theory doesn't always match reality and the speed were determined over a chrony.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13161 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You get the easiest trajectory to work out for a .177 / 8.5gr / 800 fps ... if you zero at 35 yards. With a bit more speed add a few yards, more pellet weight subtract a few.

Obviously the trajectory is the same but if you zero at the optimum range it makes your holdover and under much easier to work out. That's critical with the small targets we shoot at. You want to maximize your point blank range.

I have my gun set at 800fps with 8.4gr zeroed at 35y. The first zero point is 18y then it's one mill dot down for 30 and one dot up for every 5y after 35 with a 10x scope setting out to 50 where it's dropping like a brick and you shouldn't be shooting that far anyway, unless you have way more power.