Find
Notify
Tools

Pellet rifle/ RWS Question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted
I made the mistake of borrowing a buddies RWS 48/52 and shooting it for a while. I was impressed with the accuracy and how much fun it was to shoot inside my shop in the evenings.

I am looking at a used RWS 48. Don't know how this is different than a 48/52 but that is one of my questions.

I think a good used one that is accurate is what I am after. I can't afford at the moment to spend $600 on a new one.

I can get the used 48 for $200.

Anyone have any commments on RWS or my reasoning?

Jim

Please be an ethical PD hunter, always practice shoot and release!!

Praying for all the brave souls standing in harms way.

Posts: 731 | Location: NoWis. | Registered: 04 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
pdhntr1---The 48 and the 52 are one in the same and in fact so stamped,except the stock. The 52 has a stamped checkered stock. Not worth the difference in my books. The 52 stock is also slightly longer. If you plan on putting a scope on it,whatever else you do,get an adjustable mount. The way they are set up you will not get enough adjustment out of the scope to get you on target. I have the RWS adjustable mount and I like it,some say it's not so good. I would also get the Leupold compact 3x-9x scope with EFR(extended focus range). It has adjustable objective and will focus down to air gun range---one that doesnt is useless. It will smack you in the wallet,but it's worth it. When they were selling for $307,I never saw a used one on EBAY go for less than $275,often times more. Thats only $32 difference which really makes it a cheap scope. Scrounger that posts here rarely had a 48 for sale. Not sure if he still has it,but I'll contact him and let him post. The $200 is a bargain in my books. If you do get it,let me know and I'll post a couple things I did that I think improves them.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Thanks carpetman for the info and PM. I am going to have to pass on your buddies rifle as I have committed to buying this one. The guy that I got it from is sending a scope mount with it also.

Even though it may be a couple of weeks before it actually arrives, I would welcome ANY help or advice you could give me.

My daughter just got married and I am still very poor from that, so a Leupold is going to have to wait, but I have other scopes that may work.

Thanks again.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PD hunter, I shoot a Bushnell on my 48 and a Tasco on my 52. The secret is in the mount. Don't skimp on that or the recoil will shake the guts out of a Leupold or Bushnell either one in not too long of a time. Spend the bucks and get an RWS C mount made especially for the RWS side cockers. Have fun.
BJB

Posts: 514 | Location: now in Lower Slower Delaware | Registered: 21 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
pdhntr---Spring air guns (which a 48 is one)have a double whammy recoil. Not a punishing recoil by any means but the double action is akin to popping a whip. This action will wreck scopes not intended for it,even scopes that would hold up to magnums. Whatever scope you put on it, make sure it is spring air rated.
I consider the safety to be a little bit skimmpy on the 48/52. My gunsmith knurled a band that slides over the safety and attaches with a small set screw. Looks good and sure feels a lot better. The red dot that on most American made rifles would be the "fire posistion" indicator seems missplaced to me. Best I can figure,it is intended as a locator so you know where the safety is,but not an indicator. It is on the left side about midway the travel of the safety. I used steel wool and removed the red dot. Then on right side of safety up close to the knurled ring I just touched a spot with a burr in a Dremel. The housing is plastic so be careful--don't over do it--just touch it. This leaves a little dimple that can be filled in with red paint.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remember the mount with a bit of rubber in it?

When stupid super powered springers were all the rage and scopes were weak you could get a shock mount. If you used one of them on a sensible gun you could probably use any cheaper scope with out wrecking it.
I shoot a fair number of pests inside buildings, I usually use a red dot, and I'd use it on my HW45, but you're not really supposed to shoot anything with an air pistol here ... so of course I don't.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of pdhntr1
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the information.

I believe I have a 1.5 X 4.5 that has been sitting around not doing much. I will try that for a while, until I find out what I have.

If the rig shoots well I can rationalize spending some money on it. I am getting a one piece mount with it. Not sure the make or the quality.

So what are you guys getting for accuracy, and what pellets are you using? I have a tin of Crosman target (?) or Premier (?), can't recall.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd say you should be able to hit a quarter size target at 30y fairly easy off a rest, and get decent groups at 45. But it's judging the range with an airgun that makes it tricky, as the trajectory is so arched just a small error will make a big miss.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of rjrobb
posted Hide Post
I got a RWS 34 Panther combo last year and have liked it a lot. I shoot the domed pellets in it for accuracy, but use some of the primos to really whack something.

One thing I noticed is the springers like consistancy for accuracy. Even more so than regular firearms. Same grip, trigger pull, mount on shoulder and cheek weld. Just shows up quicker in my springer.

Joe

Posts: 411 | Location: CO | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote