New
Find
Notify
Tools

snake in a tree
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The other night my wife and I were sitting on the front porch and somehow just enough light glistened off a snake that was in a live oak tree in our yard. It wasnt a poisonous snake,but I don't want a four foot snake crawling around in my yard. I grabbed my Blue Streak,which has a peep sight and this requires light on both the target and the sight,especially the front sight. I was able to hit the snake,keep in mind in a heavily leafed tree you have to take whatever is offered in the way of a target. I then thought,I should be using my scope sighted RWS 48. With a scope,you only need light on the target. In time I was able to get a fatal shot that dropped it out of the tree. The snake wasnt cooperating remaing still and in good view.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good for you for killing the snake! They like to climb birdhouse poles, too. Glad to hear the scope did the trick even in the poor light. That one won't be slithering around anymore.

Plinker

aim small, hit small

Posts: 1522 | Location: WV | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman:
The other night my wife and I were sitting on the front porch and somehow just enough light glistened off a snake that was in a live oak tree in our yard. <<<snip>>>

It wasnt a poisonous snake,but I don't want a four foot snake crawling around in my yard.<<<Snip>>>

<<<SNIP>>> I was able to hit the snake, In time I was able to get a fatal shot that dropped it out of the tree.<<<SNIP>>>

Some good shooting in a leafy tree! Congratulations on your shooting skill with your air rifle. thumb

The shooting skill asside, why would you want to kill a non-poisonous snake? Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As mentioned--killed the non poisonous snake as I didnt want it in my front yard. Normally,I dont kill them.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Good for you. You can never tell about front yard snakes. When I lived in south Georgia, the fellow 30 feet up in my live oak trimming deadwood near fell out when a 3 foot rattler came out of the hole in the rotted limb he had just cut off. I expect the snake was the one the small town chief of police and I were in the backyard looking for just days before. N.S.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote