New
Find
Notify
Tools

light or heavy pellet???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
there seems to be two schools of thought on this. at first i was told never to use a light pellet in a magnum air rifle(rws mod 48). the reasoning was that a light pellet didn't provide enough resistance as the piston traveled forward when the trigger was pulled. so i've always used rws super mags or superdomes. now i hear that a pellet that is too heavy will cause damage and i see people shooting those gamo PBA (5 grns, i think) at??? 1600 fps???. what's the real deal??? will i ruin my rifle with the 5 grn PBA's? or will i ruin it with one of the real heavy weights, 10.5 grns or more???

thanks for any input

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Lightweight pellets are faster but not as accurate as heaver pellets. I believe the more important issue is do they fit in your air rifle properly and are they loose. If they are loose they "will" damage your air rifle. Usually if you stick with the pellets your air rifle manufacture recommends you cant go wrong.

I shoot a Beeman R9 .177 and will not buy cheap pellets anymore.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote