THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AIR RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Air Rifle    Can a PCP use a regular rifle scope...

Moderators: big6x6
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can a PCP use a regular rifle scope...
 Login/Join

posted
or does it have the two-way recoil of a springer?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
there is essentially no recoil at all, so any scope will work. if shooting a lower power PCP you can see the pellet in flight through the scope if the light is right. for sure you will see every pellet actually hit the target.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George, did you buy a PCP gun? I am thinking about moving in this direction my self.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No, but I am looking at the Benjamin Marauder; it is supposedly quieter than the Discovery.

George

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
six of one- half a dozen of the other. Disco producers less power and is therefore somewhat quieter. when comparing noise you have to be sure you are comparing equal power levels. less power=less noise in most cases. just be sure you understand the necessity of supplying a high pressue air supply. hand pumps are simple solutions but i can assure you that if you shoot mmuch, it will quickly loose its appeal. also the Benjamin pump is an absolute POS- DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY! buy a Hill pump or better yet buy a used scuba tank assuming there is a dive shop in your area to fill it. the Marauder is a better gun than the Discovery in most respects.

posted Hide Post
GeorgeS, I have both of these airguns, and they are both shooter's, and you can use any scope (they don't recoil like the springers! And the Marauder is quieter by a wide margin! Hope this helps?

Steve

posted Hide Post
Thank you, Steve.

How do you fill the reservoir on the Marauder? Foot pump or air tank?

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
George, I use a scuba tank filled to 3500 psi. You are going to love the Marauder, I have the .25 cal. model. Its a game changer IMO, and the accuracy is truly amazing.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
George: I just bought my first PCP -- a Benjamin Marauder in .25. The barrels in the .25s are made by Green Mountain. It is ridiculously quiet and powerful, and nearly recoil-free. I mounted a Bushnell Banner 4-12 AO that I have had for years and it is a happy combination. I also took the advice to buy the Hill pump. It's so well made that I'm sure it will last for generations. Once you have the initial fill to 3,000 psi and you shoot it down to about 2100-2200, it takes 50-60 strokes to get back to 3,000. These are amazing rifles.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information.

With the pump, this will cost about $600.

George

posted Hide Post
GeorgeS, I fill mine with a hand pump, would be nice to have a tank, but hard for me to get it filled!

Steve

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Steve: First, welcome to AR, a very fine place to hang. Second, the nice thing about a pump is you will never be dependent on someone else's machinery to shoot your rifle. I like self-contained systems. I'm even thinking about a pellet mould or swaging dies ...

– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I just got a Feinwerkbauw Model 700 match air rifle.

It has an air cylinder, and the accuracy is absolutely amazing.

But, I though it did not have enough power for hunting birds.

The rifle came with match ring sights.

Yesterday I filled the tank - we have our own compressor - and went outside to see if I could shoot some birds with it.

First off was 4 doves with 4 shots!!

Distance were from about 20 yards to 50 yards.

Each dropped dead at the shot.

Well, that was quite an eye opener for me, as I have always thought I needed more power than these rifles are capable of producing.

Then I tried it on crows. These birds are very shy, and tend to keep their distance.

One was sitting on a palm tree about 60 yards away. One shot and he dropped stone dead!!??

Another one flew off and landed on another tree, roughly the distance. Another shot, and another dead crow!

I then thought of trying it on some of the green iguanas we have.

There are so many of them up in the trees.

I took only head shots - shooting them just behind the ear.

6 shots and 6 dead green iguans!!

I had several kids with me, and they all wanted to shoot this rifle.

I put some Birchwood Casey Shoot.N.C target for them at 10 meters, and had them rest the rifle on a table.

The smiles on their faces as they fired their shots, and saw their shots hit the bullseye, was priceless.

Some of the kids have been shooting before.

Others this was their first time.

I think we got them hooked Smiler

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66923 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That is terrific, Saeed. Feinwerkbau rifles are well known for their accuracy.

George

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
come on Saeed, let them try your Air Wolf and REALLY put a smile on their faces. i have both an Air Wolf MCT and MVT- can't decide whether to keep both or sell the MCT. for sure the FW is top notch but i must say, I love electronic triggers! for the money though, a Marauder is hard to beat.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Saeed, these rifles can be miraculously accurate. Great way to get young people interested in shooting. Good job!

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The original question was can a regular scope be used on pcp? From a recoil standpoint, yes. But most regular scpoes don't focus down to air rifle range. Spend the money and get a Leupold 3x-9x compact with EFR (extended focal range--adjustable objective). Thing will focus down to air gun range and is crystal clear. It's a Leupold nothing else need be said. Now the price--over $300 thats a bargain. Back when they were $307 new--on EBAY they ALWAYS brought $275 or more. So that makes them a $32 scope--best bargain around.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
My recollection is that there was a time that regular scopes were not recommeded on air rifle because the specific impulse tended to tear them up.

Scopes particularly designed by the air rifle folks seemed to fair better.

Anyone heard this?

--------------------

EGO sum bastard ut does frendo

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMCI*:
My recollection is that there was a time that regular scopes were not recommeded on air rifle because the specific impulse tended to tear them up.

Scopes particularly designed by the air rifle folks seemed to fair better.

Anyone heard this?

Yes, that is why I asked my question. Springers have a dual-recoil impulse (back and forth) which can tear up conventional scopes whose lenses are cemented only on one side.

A PCP does not have this dual-recoil impulse.

George

posted Hide Post
Only springers recoil both ways.
Any scope will work but of course special airgun scopes can be parralax adjusted down to 10 yards.

Posts: 75 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote