THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AIR RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Air Rifle    20 years with the springers.........

Moderators: big6x6
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

20 years with the springers.........
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
And today ordered another one, a RWS Model 54 recoilless .22, one 9.9 lb. beast from Pyramid Air. Gone are the constant scope shifts brought on by magnum recoil. Pyramid had the knowledge and current inventory in place to answer all my questions. Beware those places that will take your order and never tell you item not in stock and they don't know when it will be.....r in w.

Posts: 557 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington | Registered: 26 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
scoped this rifle will weigh 11 1/2 lbs. with a 39 lb cocking effort AND A BEECH STOCK. for the almost $650 it costs i would buy a good used AA 400 or Daystate Huntsman( and they are fairly easy to find) with a walnut stock, no cocking effort, an all up weight of 8-8 1/2 lbs., more power. springers lost their appeal after my first outing with a PCP rifle.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All true, I do have a PCP in a FX Wolverine but wanted something more field portable than a Scuba tank....for me, heavy is a good thing.

Posts: 557 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington | Registered: 26 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Fx doesn't make the Wolverine, Daystate does. the .30 cal FX is the Boss. i use a belt holster and small 4500psi paint ball tank to recharge my Wolverine when out hunting. 40 plus shots is more than enough shots for most varmint hunting expeditions. and that is a 100fpe rifle that uses a lot of air and still weighs less than 11 1/2 lbs. if i only intend to shoot ground squirrels, i use a 40fpe Daystate Air Wolf and get well over 200 shots between the rifle tank and the belt tank. there is nothing good about lugging around a 11 1/2 rifle in hilly country...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well you 'da Man' for sure......just checked and it's a entry level FX Timber Wolf PCP I have....not much to compare to your fine collection. Not many PCP's to choose from having portable bottles, in fact I know of nothing under a thousand $'s plus the several hundred dollar air tank.....So hope you were not comparing high dollar AR's with modest priced AR's Leaving this thread know, please feel to critique any replies on this posting that might appear, I am sure you will find something, regards.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
if you don't know the difference between a .30 Daystate Wolverine and a .22 FX Timber Wolf, perhaps you should do a bit more research. i simply pointed out other alternatives( PCP) to a 11 1/2 (scoped) beech stocked $650 springer. and the PCP air supply can come from cheap used SCBA( firemen's) or paintball bottles( ebay is full of them). sorry if the truth offends you......

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dollar,

you have such a way with words. It's no wonder so many people like you.

I have a Feinwerkbau 300S. Any unkind words you could share with me?

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Ray posted erroneous info about a rifle that doesn't exist( i.e. FX Wolverine ) and that you needed to lug a scuba tank to around to hunt with a PCP- also not true..sorry if posting correct info offends you too. and no i have no comment about your FWB. It, like the RWS, are fine springers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Ray,
Glad there is still a few old timers who still like the springers. I found an RWS 54 in .20 cal. and had it gone through by John here in PA and it shoots like a dream now. Smooth and very little deviation on velocity.
Bruce now in PA

Posts: 514 | Location: now in Lower Slower Delaware | Registered: 21 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ray, the springers are good rifles. I have one in .22 as well as a Hatsan in .25. I had not heard of the RWS recoilless Model 54. I have had good luck with Pyramyd as well.
I'm with Jerry though on a PCP for carrying and hunting. I have to work awfully hard to shoot a springer accurately in the field.
I'm tempted to go back to a Marauder; the one I had was very easy to carry and accurate as all getout.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
in terms of "bang for the buck", the Marauder is the best PCP out there.