THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AIR RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Air Rifle    RWS 36 with a rws mount issue.

Moderators: big6x6
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RWS 36 with a rws mount issue.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a 36 with the rws mount. I have an rws 3X9 scope on it. My problem is the scope is not parallel to the top strap of the gun. The scope looks higher in the front than the back. Is this normal?

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Could it be a compensating mount of some sort?

or a locating pin sticking out and not letting it go on right

or if its a two piece ... could the gripper plates be ... one on one way, and the other one on the other way up.

or just a duff mount bewildered

Can you put up a pic?

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes it is. When that mount goes south replace it with this one. Get the low rings though.

http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-...pl?accessory_id=2298

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It may be a compensating mount but it is a stock RWS "A" mount.

It clamps right to the rifle scope plate. There is no pin or anything to get in the way.

It's tough to take a great pic with the background I'm working with, but I think you can see it. It's like 3/`6" higher in the back than the front.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure if there is a difference in the A or C mount ( which I have two of) but the C has a pin on it that fits into the receiver as a recoil lug. Also the mounts are ajustable for windage and elevation by the hex screws on the side. I think a cone type of arrangement. If you still have the directions, you might want to go back and follow them. Mine were tricky to get set up and adjusted in but then, no problems.
Drop me a PM if I can help.
Bruce

Posts: 514 | Location: now in Lower Slower Delaware | Registered: 21 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I learned to hate those mounts. To much work to get right and my father's model 36 hammered it to dead with a small scope mounted to it. The leapers is easier to sight in and does not move.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BJB:
Not sure if there is a difference in the A or C mount ( which I have two of) but the C has a pin on it that fits into the receiver as a recoil lug. Also the mounts are ajustable for windage and elevation by the hex screws on the side. I think a cone type of arrangement. If you still have the directions, you might want to go back and follow them. Mine were tricky to get set up and adjusted in but then, no problems.
Drop me a PM if I can help.
Bruce

Yeah, but look at the middle picture, you can see that the disparity is not the base but the rings, from the base to the bottom of the scope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I see what you are saying. Maybe he picked up the rings used and someone had put a high or medium ring with a low one??

Posts: 514 | Location: now in Lower Slower Delaware | Registered: 21 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a "Drooper" mount. Some say you need one on a RWS, to compensate for the barrel offset.
But I'm not so sure, mostly older HW guns esp break barrels seem to need them more often.
That one looks quite extreme as well.

If it's adjustable it would have shims or elongated holes for the adjustment.
If it's got solid base and rings then it's a "Drooper".

If you can't zero it with that mount at less than 100 yards or you need to have the elevation cranked to near the end, then you probably need a normal mount.

That Lepers is a compensating mount as well...

The one linked to "Decreases barrel droop with 20.7" upward compensation at 30 yds"

And another model "Decreases barrel droop with 17.1" upward compensation at 30 yds"

Ps.
The rings are too close to the turret there. With the force you need to use to keep the scope on a spring gun, that may squeeze the tube enough to interfere with the turret adjustment.

"When doing battle, seek a quick victory."

Posts: 4739 | Location: London England | Registered: 11 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BJB:
Yes, I see what you are saying. Maybe he picked up the rings used and someone had put a high or medium ring with a low one??

No the base and rings were sold as a set and were brand new when I bought them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
Yes it is. When that mount goes south replace it with this one. Get the low rings though.

http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-...pl?accessory_id=2298

Just ordered one. Thanks for the link.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just looked at the C-mount on my RWS 48 and when zeroed with the bases as the instructions say, it has the same difference in the the front and rear as yours does. Shoots fine and holds a good zero so I am not going to fight it.
Good luck,
Bruce