New
Find
Notify
Tools

CMP Daisy's for a c note
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Discuss please, good, bad, or ugly? Want to get something not too expensive but accurate since .22's have gone out of sight.

You can see them on the CMP website.

Thanks,

Posts: 274 | Location: GREENVILLE SC | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The M853 is a solid workhorse as a beginner's air rifle- and they've been re-sealed and chrono'd to factory specs. seems like a pretty decent deal (plus you're supporting CMP)

Thanks very much,
Robert (13.45)
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 83 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 21 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I received mine last week. Comes with sling, sling mount, stock spacers, front sight inserts and brand new rear sight. The wood is ugly and the "metal" doesn't have good finish. Trigger needs some work. Not an impressive design.
Shoots great!! I haven't wrung it out yet, but it looks like it won't be too far behind my FWB 300.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
gzig5,

Bite Your Tongue!!!

You could buy a case of those for the cost of a 300.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
gzig5,

Bite Your Tongue!!!

You could buy a case of those for the cost of a 300.

I could only buy a couple tins of pellets for the difference I paid for my FWB 300 over the Daisy (I'm a cheap bastard). It was a bit neglected and has freckling here and there on the metal but the stock is nice. The original white seals blew out after twenty shots and I replaced them with new ones from Pilkington's. It now will put pellet after pellet on top of each other.

The Daisy looks very promising accuracy-wise and like I said it won't be far behind the FWB. They have Lothar-Walther barrels and good reputation for accuracy. The trigger pull is long and heavy, but there are several simple modifications that can be done to supposedly bring it to a reasonably crisp 2.5 lbs, which should be good for a beginner. I bought it to start my 10 year old daughter. I will be addressing that in the near future and I'm sure accuracy will improve from the already good results. When I commented "not an impressive design" it was directed towards the plastic and cast metal construction. It was obviously designed to a price point. But the results while not exuding Germanic quality and polished steel, are certainly impressive. The Daisy is the best value in the shooting sports I've run across. I'd buy another one, but don't want to hog them all.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
if there was ever a case of comparing apples to oranges, it is comparing anything made by Daisy to anything made by FWB. that's more like comparing apples to horses...

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I am looking to buy my first 'Adult Pellet Rifle'. What do y'all recommed? Was looking at one of these Daisy's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ledvm--How much are you willing to spend? Most that buy a fairly expensive air rifle want to put a scope on it. This is an area where you get what you pay for. Trying to go cheap usually brings unsatisfactory results---that was my experience. How much will you use it? If you expect a lot of usage, spending the extra is worth it. If cost is a consideration and you aren't willing to make a fairly large outlay, I'd go with a Sheridan Blue or Silver Streak. Same gun just difference of finish. They are pump up gun. They are 5mm (.20 cal) which to me is a big plus. They don't lend themselves to satisfactory scope installation. It can be done--I did it and didn't like the results. They are however, very good with peep sight. (peep sight much cheaper than scope and mounts). Mine was old and used when I got it over 25 years ago and it's still my go to gun. I have purple martin houses, thus lots of sparrows and starlings for targets and I keep my Sheridan by the back door. Use it a lot.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Well...I won't wear the barrel out or anything...and would like the option of a scope but might just use peep sights.

Any other rifle recommendations...money is always an issue...but then again its not. Wink

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36531 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
just bought a blue streak

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ledvm---If you bought a new Blue Streak--It will be drilled and tapped for a peep sight. Williams makes one for it that screws right on. Older Sheridans had to be drilled and tapped but that wasn't a big job. Let me know how you like it.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Will do sir! Thank and will put the peep sight on ASAP.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in 1968, the Army ordered a couple thousand of them without any sights.

We learned the accurate way to snap shoot at enemy targets. It was called "Quick Kill". You held the rifle at port arms, and on command, shouldered the weapon and fired. Some of the TAC Instructors cold hit aspirin tablets glued to cardboard at 8-12 feet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"shooting asprin tablets"--Typical Army---been much easier to shoot Alka Seltzers and a higher hit rate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dad had me do that snap shooting one winter with a bb gun. By the end of the month you could see the bb's all over the yard. By the end could hit a golf ball toss in the air. I think he got the idea from the American rifleman.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
They called it Quick Fire at Ft. Ord and a metal disc about 1 1/2 - 2" in diameter tossed into the air was the practice target.

Would likely would have been effective if it were repeated daily for some time.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote