THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AIR RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Air Rifle    decent rifle under 200 dollars?

Moderators: big6x6
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

decent rifle under 200 dollars?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need a air rifle for pest control for squirrels and pigeons. I don't want to drop a pile of money into a super rifle. I just need something to get rid of the vermin. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a bought a blem RWS 34 for I think around 200 awhile back.
It did a good job with heavy .177 pellets.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sheridan Blue Streak with peep sight. Don't know how well they will hold up--mine was a used one I picked up over 25 years ago--still going strong no problems. Do have a RWS 52 but it is heavy. The Sheridan is my go to gun.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ron: Sending you a PM.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too need a basic, moderate cost used air rifle for use on squirrels.
For me, it would probably be used for only 5 to 10 shots per year, but I expect each year it would need to put 3 or 4 bushytails in a stew pot. All shots would be at less than 20 yards.
Here is why I need one.
I have a peach tree and a pear tree. As the summer progresses, the squirrels strip every piece of fruit. The trees usually start out loaded with fruit, and by late June, they are totally empty. I have not gotten a single peach or pear in 3 years. Grrrr.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Guys, Google Xisico B-25 or XS-25. These are the Ruger Blackhawk without the Ruger name on them. Smae factory. Very well built and with excellent triggers. Hard hitting and accurate in .22. Love mine. The gophers and ground squirrels here hate it.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Ruger Air Hawk .177. Works very well and is quite accurate. On sale @ Big 5 it was well under two and came with a half decent scope. Does what I want it to do, kill starlings.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Try a QB 78 from Archer Airguns in .22.
Topped with a cheap scope it will take care of most pests effortlessly.

Chaunfa

Posts: 8 | Location: New Delhi, India | Registered: 27 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
I had a bought a blem RWS 34 for I think around 200 awhile back.
It did a good job with heavy .177 pellets.

ditto to this - an RWS 34 will do the job- but forget the coyotes unless you are willing to move up to a PCP rifle.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here we have two types of squirrels. One is a red one that nests in trees and spends a lot of time in trees. The other is a black squirrel that burrows. Pretty sure they nest in the burrows. See them in trees some, but not very often. They are much more agressive and seem harder to kill. I've dispatched a few with my Sheridan and a couple did require a second shot.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ended up with a Winchester/ Daisy. I actually got it from a friend. He works in a store that sells them. They got three back as returns. The safety's broke on them. The first one he gave me was crap. The second one is an accurate and powerful rifle. I killed 33 pigeons and 6 squirrels. My son shot 1 rock chuck with it. It seems to be a good gun. If this one breaks I will need to find another but not this kind. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My neighbor had the same problems with the winchester. Store made them send it back to the factory even though it was a week old.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
love the rws mod 34!! good german made magnum air rifle..... i have put thousands of pellets across my backyard at 1000 fps!!

PRAY FOR OBAMA... PSALMS 109:9

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot a squirrel today at about 10 yards. The Winchester was loaded with ballistic tip bullets. It hosed that squirrel bug time. Ron

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
ballistic tip bullets for an air rifle? i can only assume you mean predator pellets that have a plastic pointed tip.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know for sure. My son got them and those were the only ones I could see when I ran to get the gun. The smoked that squirrel. Ron

one of us
posted Hide Post
I whacked two more Squirrels today. This rifle has done a good job of killing squirrels. Ron