Notify
Tools

Barnes CR-10
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SemperFiHunter
posted
Anybody ever used Barnes CR-10?
They claim it removes all copper, brass, and lead fouling, reducing copper build-up when shooting their X-bullets.
I bought some because I love X-bullets and am willing to give it a try.
Just wondering if any of you guys can offer some insight on this product.
Thanks,

REMANUS DURUS CORPS!

Posts: 65 | Location: Republic of Texas. | Registered: 16 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I used to use it and had no problems with it, but have switched to the Wipe/Patch Out as it is easier to use and performs well.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
CR-10 is good stuff as is Butch's and Montana Extreme but they are all ammonia based and smell really bad. I now use Bore Tech Cu+2 Copper Remover which works wonders on copper without the bad smell. Copper can be really tough to remove.

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SemperFiHunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input, guys. I will give it a try and see how it works.

I kinda like the way it smells.

Thanks.

REMANUS DURUS CORPS!

Posts: 65 | Location: Republic of Texas. | Registered: 16 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
works well for me!

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried it and it worked OK. No better or worse than Sweets. Since trying WipeOut and PatchOut, the ammonia-based cleaners see little use.

Posts: 185 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cane Rat:
CR-10 is good stuff as is Butch's and Montana Extreme but they are all ammonia based and smell really bad. I now use Bore Tech Cu+2 Copper Remover which works wonders on copper without the bad smell.

I switched from CR-1- to BT Cu+2 as well as although the CR-10 is very effective I prefer the BT CU+2 because I can wet mop and leave it there untill I am ready (if I am doing other things in the gun room at the same time. Would not do that with the CR-10.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2684 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 on wipe out......have used most all ammonia bore cleaners of one kind or the other find no other product that cleans this well and so easily.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been using CR-10 for years on several rifles. Works great. Do not, however, leave any residue in your bore. Rust will quickly develop.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
+ another one on the wipe out. The rest of those cleaners, sweets, barns, etc.. are no comparison and I have used them all.

Posts: 7 | Location: ms | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are gonna use the CR-10, IT IS IMPERATIVE that you use a bore guide. If that stuff gets into the action, trigger group, around the safety, it will set up and cause bad things to happen. Accidental discharges are no fun, speaking from personal experience. It sits and gets thicker and gums up the sears and safeties. It works but can cause havoc with your actions.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CR-10 is a very strong copper solvent (amonia). Works well, especially with a brass brush (although its tough on the brush, which is disposable afterall). Strong enough smelling to wake the dead. Don't leave it in your bore for long periods of time, and always flush with alcohol when done.

Like others, I've switched to wipe-out foam. Squirt it in, let it sit overnight, patch it out. A lot less labor and just as clean.

-nosualc

Beware the fury of an aroused democracy. -Ike

Posts: 124 | Location: land of sky blue waters | Registered: 30 January 2008Reply With Quote