THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUN CLEANING FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what low-viscosity synthetic gun oil do you use?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
what low-viscosity synthetic gun oil do you use?franchi advises the use of the synthetic oil for autoloading actions.which one works best

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not found anything better than Royal Purple gun oil.

The lubricity is unbelievable. I haven't put it's corrosion resistance to the test, but their website details it.

http://www.royalpurple.com/prodsa/gunoil.html

NRA Life Member

Posts: 103 | Location: Northern Michigan, USA | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eezox! Great stuff, but not always easy to find locally.

Tim

http://www.eezox.com/gun-care.html

http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Automatic transmission fluid is an excellent low viscosity oil/lube. It's highly refined, contains detergents, anti wear and corrosion agents. It's universaly available, and inexpensive.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best lube was sperm whale oil my gunsmith used it to lube lots of his custom reworked handguns,rifles and shotguns. I use Militec 1 & LPS spray.BUT never do I put any oil on the outside of any of my weapons oil is for one purpose internal lubrication.My blued & stainless steel weapons get a coating of Trewax as does the hand rubbed oil finish on walnut stocks of my shotguns ,handguns and rifles.

posted Hide Post
Hands down, Corrosion X .

Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 15 | Location: Orange,TX | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eezox, without a doubt.
bigbull

Posts: 398 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sperm whale oil was perhaps the finest machine oil ever marketed but for obvious reasons it was discontinued. Auto Trans. Fluid was formulated to replicate the qualities of whale oil. ATF is a great gun lube, it won't dry out and leave a gooey "varnish" like film to foul triggers, etc, like many other oils do. Cheap too.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i use kelly lube because it stays on the walls of the bore and does not run.i use it in the bore when i put my rifle away.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best lube I've seen yet is TW 25B. Their aerosol grease is most excellent. I will never be without a can of Kroil and Marvel Mystery oil either.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am begining to think wd-40 may be provide a good lubrication for the bullet passage and for cleaning with brushes.Put a little on your bronze brush and see what a difference it makes.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of teroenza
posted Hide Post
+1 for Transmission fluid
You'd be surprised what you can do with a little bit of knowledge and common sense.
-Josh

Duty to your country means more than a ribbon magnet on the back of your car.

Posts: 105 | Location: Tabb-VA-USA | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Break Free is used to clean and lubricate gun systems in military jet fighters on carriers,arctic bases and deserts.Who would think of anything else.Sperm whale oil give me a break.

Posts: 68 | Location: Camrose Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using Slicker and Maxx from the same makers as Wipeout. I put slicker on my Winnie to protect it from the rain and that was several months ago and it is still giving protection. Maxx on the action is supreme and you cannot remove without chemicals, I believe it is also approve by the US military on their Autos..
www.sharpshtr.com
www.sharpshtr.org.uk

regards
griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack, The military has a different formulation of CLP for arctic conditions because it was found that in really cold weather the standard CLP would gum up. But your comment was generally accurate, although the only knowledge of military aircraft beyond watching tv, Is calling in airstrikes. In the Army we used CLP for almost everything, but it was all we had, not because it was the best (none of our other equipment was, for the most part)

I have used 20w40 motor oil before in a pinch, it sucked, but was the only oil on hand. A Ruger 10-22 will not fire 1500 rounds without cleaning and relubrication.

I am currently fond of Kroil.

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Two tone
posted Hide Post
Used to use Breakfree CLP. Didn't like to use it in the bore due to teflon.

Now use Fluid Film for corrosion protection and in the bore.

Have been using Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w30 for lubrication. Best lubricating oil I've used so far.

Reading the Instructions - a sure sign of weakness and uncertainty.

Posts: 147 | Location: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: 22 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
eesox.
I hate to touch oily surfaces.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
I use FP10 as a bore oil/lubricant. Breakfree goes on the outside of my firearms because it's a better protectant.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My mix is 1/4 stp engine oil treatment to 1/4 trans fluid and the rest is gunk super oil. Super oil is kind of like 3 in 1 oil but thinner and clear.

Posts: 168 | Location: Thomaston GA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Sullivan:
Break Free is used to clean and lubricate gun systems in military jet fighters on carriers,arctic bases and deserts.Who would think of anything else.Sperm whale oil give me a break.
Jack Sullivan before you were born it was a key ingredient in auto trans fluid cause it's impervious to heat and cold and was a great lube for machinery, firearms and precision instruments.Do a goggle search.Jojoba Oil from Simmondsia chinensis aka goat nut is supposed to be a substitute lubricant.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I am begining to think wd-40 may be provide a good lubrication for the bullet passage and for cleaning with brushes.Put a little on your bronze brush and see what a difference it makes.
WD 40 is a dust & dirt magnet firemen learned polishing their trucks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eezox for long term, Amsoil 0-30 for anywhere fouling accumulates. The detergent package loosens any kind of built up gunk.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SCR, Kids are funny. They think that if they've never seen or done it, it doesn't exist! Oh well, they will learn if they live long enough. Maybe. ;-)

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
buckshot

buckshot, I've used Marvel (red oil) for years and am just now discovering Kroil. What's the difference? Uses?

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Butch's because after sweets, Butches shows whether or not you have the sweets neutralized. Patches come out brownish until the sweets is gone. Then the red color. I also use this on t=my Garand.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Amsoil synthetic tranny oil with some lanolin dissolved in.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
95 mils of ATF + 5 mils of paint thinner-Way to go.

it dont mean a thing,if it aint got no zing

Posts: 11 | Location: Australia | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
The only problem with using any ATF is that it is not "low viscosity."

I understand ATF to be in the gear oil ranges, ie., 75w90.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc, you are thinking of the heavy manual transmission and differential oil. We are refering to ATF, it's Automatic Transmission Fluid! Very different.

ATF is a thin oil with excellant wicking and good lubing qualities. Walmart sells quarts for $3-4 bucks for the synthetic type, try it.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
oops, sorry, you are correct. ATF is lighter than a 10w grade oil....it's ISO32. WalMart carries their own brand of synthetic ATF? I haven't seen it. I'll look for it.

Carry on... Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
A new one that I saw Sunday at the range was guy cleaning his bore with Ammonia window cleaner. Don't know if I would recommend it. It may be great for all I know.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc,try Amsoil ATF beer for your truck that is and stop shopping at WalMart.If you can't find some then I'll send you.

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Amsoil ATF? I've got 40 quarts of it in the garage. It's all I run in my F150 and the wife's minivan. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I also am a great fan of ATF. I also use Mobil 1 20W-50. For high pressure friction areas like lugs on a bolt action, or the hinge pin on O/U shotguns I use a small dab of STP. You can buy all 3 of these products for under $10.00 in most all automotive stores. They work better than anything else I've found. If you use any type of grease you can buy a large tube of Moly grease for a couple of bucks. It works better than these miracle "gun greases" that cost up to $10.00 for a tiny 10cc syringe. "Gun oils" are overpriced snake oils, nothing more. I have never had a gun rust or fail from a lubrication issue in using these products for the last 35 years. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote