New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preferred oils for gun care
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After using your preferred method of cleaning, what oil(s) do you use for rust prevention?
I've read comments against using teflon-based oils but I'm uncertain as to why.

Posts: 70 | Location: N. Utah | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Break Free CLP to clean with and to prevent rust. I like it a lot. I don't live in Iraq or Barstow, BTW.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive always just used Hoppes no 9 lubricating oil. Works great for me for both the wood and the metal.

Posts: 29 | Location: Bay Area, CA | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I don't have a 100% preferred oil. What I use 80% of the time is a mixture of ATF and mineral spirits, about 90/10 ATF/MS. It works quite well and I can mix it up in a minute if I run out. put a piece of cloth in a 35mm film can and put half a teaspoon in and you have a nice cloth to wipe stuff down with.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RIG preservaive grease for the outside and for storage.My 'gun' oil is what they call a turbine oil ,a very highly refined oil which has all the additives needed for guns[Mobil DTE]. Mobil 1 has been tested and found excellent for guns .

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I mostly use Kroil.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don_G
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HenryC470:
I use Break Free CLP to clean with and to prevent rust. I like it a lot. I don't live in Iraq or Barstow, BTW.

H. C.

Saeed did an oil test a while back, and Break Free gave the best rust protection of the commonly available products.

I use it before storage.

Don_G

...from Texas, by way of Mason, Ohio and Aurora, Colorado!

Posts: 1645 | Location: Elizabeth, Colorado | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don_G:
quote:

H. C.

Saeed did an oil test a while back, and Break Free gave the best rust protection of the commonly available products.

I use it before storage.

Hey Don,

I've had good luck w/ Bowling Alley Wax, Eezox, Shooter's Choice and Boeshield for rust prevention but can't say the same for Break Free. I gave up on it. It has always been poor for C, L and P for me.

Not as good for rust prevention but a good oil is Mili-Tech. We get it by the gallons.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started with the Birchwood Casey range of products then when I couldn't get the gun oil I used Sweetes. Now I use Tetra products and don't have any problems but I also didn't have problems with any of the others I've used.

Where storage is concerned, there would not be week go by that I dont have my rifles out of the safe for some reason (do you really need a reason?). So, I always give them a once over to make sure all is OK.

Best Regards,

Posts: 161 | Location: Australia | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steyrl:

Now I use Tetra products and don't have any problems...

I'm going on memory, but if I remember correctly, it was a bottle of Tetra oil. It was in a plastic container with a pump-type aerosol (i.e., it wasn't pressurized). It may have been good oil, but it stank so horribly that I threw it away and would never use it again unless there were absolutely nothing else available.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Suggestion....move to southern Arizona....no worries, mate. jumping

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LE270:
quote:
Originally posted by steyrl:

Now I use Tetra products and don't have any problems...

I'm going on memory, but if I remember correctly, it was a bottle of Tetra oil. It was in a plastic container with a pump-type aerosol (i.e., it wasn't pressurized). It may have been good oil, but it stank so horribly that I threw it away and would never use it again unless there were absolutely nothing else available.

Gidday Lloyd,
I must admit I've only started using Tetra products wihtin the last 6 months but the "Oil"
lubrication/bore conditioner comes in a platic bottle with a folding nozzle in the cap. Anyhoo,
the one maxim I've learn't from shooting is "to each his own".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After cleaning the bore do most of you all run a patch with oil through? Do you have any accuracy variance in the first shot out do to the oil? Do you run a patch through before heading afield?

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

H. C.

Ditto.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:
After cleaning the bore do most of you all run a patch with oil through? Do you have any accuracy variance in the first shot out do to the oil? Do you run a patch through before heading afield?

Perry

When I was shooting the M40 and tracking my cold bore shot, it was preached to stay away from the Rem Oil w/ Teflon. I was given Tetra at that time but my rifle would take a shot to settle into a normal group. This particular rifle shot issue ammo sub-moa as far as I shot. We began getting Mili-Tech by the gallons so I started using it. I was instructed to apply it wet and bring the weapon to operating temp for the first application. After this I noted that my cold bore shots went into my normal groups. I've tried this on several hunting rifles and it has worked the same. I could not do this w/ Tetra, Eezox or Break Free CLP.

As far as Break Free goes, while going through an advanced marksmanship school at Quantico I was instructed to throw it away. I haven't used it since. I had a service weapon completely rust over when using Break Free CLP and have since switched over to Wax, Eezox, Boeshield and/or Shooters Choice Rust Prevent when exposed to salt water.

one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
Break-Free for externals as a cleaner and protectant, Butch's Bore Shine as powder/copper solvent in the barrel and FP10 for most internals as lubricant/barrel oil. A touch of Tetra grease for areas like 1911 slide rails, M1A bolt roller, and shotgun hinge pins.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clenzoil works for me. I've used it for
years and years.

There is/was(?) a wax in a pump bottle that
I used that did the best job. It was called:
Arms Cote. Very little bottle though.

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using Corrosion X lately and have been very happy with it. I sometime also use Montana Xtreme oil in the bores of some rifles. I have heard not to use teflon oil because it turns into an extemely corrosive gas under the heat of firing. I believe flourine gas, anyway Corrosion X is the best in my book.I do use Montana Xtreme grease on bolt lugs.

one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Slater:
Clenzoil works for me. I've used it for
years and years.

There is/was(?) a wax in a pump bottle that
I used that did the best job. It was called:
Arms Cote. Very little bottle though.

i'll second clenzoil!! great stuff!!! thumb

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Could not resist this reply. An old mechanic once told me that Marvel's Mystery Oil was a great product for diesel engines. I have been adding it every other gas fill up and now am approaching 399,000 on my old GMC Suburban.....
beer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by catboat:
Short term: Marvel Mystery Oil

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody else using Birchwood Casey "Sheath" for rust prevention - inside and outside bores??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was over at a friends house a couple of weeks ago and he was changeing the oil in his pickup, he asked me if i would mind cleaning his Kimber 45 for him i took it all apart and cleaned it and asked him where his gun oil was and he said he was out, so i took one of the bottles his motor oil came in and poured out some into a small cup and used it to oil his pistol, it was Mobil 1 10/40, this pistol is stainless so it gauled some, he told me that it shot better than it ever had and didnt jam a bit, so i bought a quart of Mobil 1 10/40 and re-filled my oil can with it, i have used it on several guns that were haveing problems with and no
more problems with feeding or jamming problems, and think about it for a minute how much would a quart of your favorite gun oil cost, pretty cheep in the long run and it works good.

Posts: 65 | Location: texas | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I clean bench guns with 2/3 Shooters choice and 1/3 Marvel Mystery oil .Before firing I run a felt thru with 2 drops of Marvels on it . The first shot fired will be good enough to use as a sighter-No poi change at all.There are better things than break free to use on firearms..
Glenn

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good info on this subject @:
http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

Posts: 81 | Location: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
For the first hundred rounds or so out of a barrel I use gun oil (no particular brand). After that I use Microlon Gun Juice. I think it really does tighten groups after several applications.

It's possible that Prolong might do the same thing but I haven't tried it yet.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
EEZOX sure does smell awful the test results are great but trying to shoot a gun that smells that bad is downright painful . Quality vs . stench what are your thoughts ?

I Might Be Tired From Hunting ,
But I Will Never Tire Of Hunting .

Posts: 200 | Location: CA,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
Corrsion-X is the best I've found to date.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like something called Plate Plus Green Cleaner, from the www.sprinco.com website...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sweets oil has proven to be the very effective in rust prevention for me and the reason I use it exclusively now is that I win it. Well, I suppose it isn't exactly free because I pay competition fees.

Shooting is FUN, winning is MORE fun but shooting IS fun.

Posts: 336 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For rust protection there is nothing that will work as well as Fluid Film, it is lanolin based and the thicker stuff will protect cable underwater (saltwater) for 5 years. The thinner type is about the same viscosity as gun oil.

Posts: 129 | Location: Darrington Washington | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I don`t really have a "prefered" oil but am useing FP-10 at the moment as I`ve a quart of the stuff. It seems to work as well as the Breakfree I used before and I`am happy enough with it that I`d buy it again. For the exterior of my firearms I use Rig grease. I`ve never had a bit of rust useing Rig the last 20 or so years while storeing or hunting.

Personaly I think it doesn`t really matter what brand is used as long as one keeps the gun properly wiped and lubed. The fact so many people are happy with so many products tells me they all must do there job if applied as needed.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol` Joe:
The fact so many people are happy with so many products tells me they all must do there job if applied as needed.

Wish I had of said that! You've hit the nail right on the head. Good on ya mate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of my firearms are treated with militec-1 http://www.militec-1.com been using it for years even put it in a dodge 440 engine and my jeep engine.