Find
Notify
Tools

Vacuum Sealer for pistols
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of doctorxring
posted

I just got one of these fancy vacuum sealers. One that will suck a golf ball through a garden
hose.

Didn't take long to think of a good use for it.

For long term storage I think this is going to
work great. These bags are pretty tough and
should do fine with moderate handling.

dxr

Happiness is a tight group

Posts: 1524 | Location: Don't Mess With Texas | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of woodsoup
posted Hide Post
You might want to throw a small dessicant pack in with the revolver and an oxygen absorber would be good too. Check to make sure your lubs etc are compatible with the plastic vacuum bags also.

I store my long term long guns this way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't gone that far yet. I clean the gun carefully ,give it a light coating of RIG, then in a plastic bag. That's usually enough . Next step would be a piece of VPI [vapor phase inhibiter] paper and if that's not enough then to the vacuum !

one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
probably would be better to fill the bag with inert gas,and seal it closed without vaccuuming it.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
...AND it's resistant to freezer burn! Big Grin

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my post I recommended RIG which I have used for many years. Now learn that RIG is no longer made ! Mad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife operates the commercial vac pacs at one our local game prcessor and we have had one of the not commercial models for years. You want to consider a little flexible padding over the sharp points as any handling can cause a micro hole and air leak. When you oil what ever you seal up, wait a couple days for any light solvents to evaporate.Some of the sprays have solvents that are rough on the plastic bags. The good vac units pull a low enough vacuum that they will boil water at room temperature. There is no reason to put a desicant or inert gas in the bag because there is not enough of ANYTHING left in the bag to react or corrode --as long as you have cleaned it good and are carefull about hand oil / salts when you put it in the bag. If it is pulled down to a good vaccum when it is sealed you can consider it "inert". Just be carefull when handling the sealed bag.

Posts: 68 | Location: Wasilla Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote