New
Find
Notify
Tools

simple newbe question about green streaks in barrel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've logically come to this conclusion, but would like conformation from people that know.
When I clean my 30-06 and the barrel seems to be clean and shiny, there is still a slight streaking of light green, the same color as on the statue of liberty. is this green streaking actually remaining copper in the barrel that needs to be cleaned out?

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, it is copper, but whether or not it needs to be cleaned out completely depends on how the rifle is shooting (In my opinion). If it is shooting well, I wouldn't clean down to the bare metal until accuracy begins to fall off and is no longer acceptable.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure it's copper, but copper that has been affected by a solvent. The green (or blue) should come out next time you put a patch through, and any remaining copper should look like gold plateing in your barrel.
As long as every thing "loose" is patched out it will be shootable. Some say it may shoot better. It's up to you to try completely clean against good enough.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gohip2000:
I've logically come to this conclusion, but would like conformation from people that know.
When I clean my 30-06 and the barrel seems to be clean and shiny, there is still a slight streaking of light green, the same color as on the statue of liberty. is this green streaking actually remaining copper in the barrel that needs to be cleaned out?

Yes, it's copper. Go get yourself a can of Wipe-Out brushless bore cleaner and your problems will be over.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1961 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote