The Accurate Reloading Forums
simple newbe question about green streaks in barrel

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/645100744/m/856105125

06 August 2006, 23:59
gohip2000
simple newbe question about green streaks in barrel
I've logically come to this conclusion, but would like conformation from people that know.
When I clean my 30-06 and the barrel seems to be clean and shiny, there is still a slight streaking of light green, the same color as on the statue of liberty. is this green streaking actually remaining copper in the barrel that needs to be cleaned out?
07 August 2006, 06:57
dustoffer
Well, it is copper, but whether or not it needs to be cleaned out completely depends on how the rifle is shooting (In my opinion). If it is shooting well, I wouldn't clean down to the bare metal until accuracy begins to fall off and is no longer acceptable.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"
07 August 2006, 13:17
JAL
Sure it's copper, but copper that has been affected by a solvent. The green (or blue) should come out next time you put a patch through, and any remaining copper should look like gold plateing in your barrel.
As long as every thing "loose" is patched out it will be shootable. Some say it may shoot better. It's up to you to try completely clean against good enough.
12 September 2006, 06:33
Pa.Frank
quote:
Originally posted by gohip2000:
I've logically come to this conclusion, but would like conformation from people that know.
When I clean my 30-06 and the barrel seems to be clean and shiny, there is still a slight streaking of light green, the same color as on the statue of liberty. is this green streaking actually remaining copper in the barrel that needs to be cleaned out?

Yes, it's copper. Go get yourself a can of Wipe-Out brushless bore cleaner and your problems will be over.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne